Hinker Bell trophy

Conference talk for the Great Northern teams. Gladstone, Escanaba, Kingsford, Marquette, and Menominee

Moderator: Moderator Group

Hinker Bell trophy

Postby hands89 » Mon Sep 27, 2004 11:46 am

Most of you probably know that the longest running U.P. rivalry is Esky vs Menominee(1897), but not everyone is aware of the trophy which was once awarded to the victors. The award, a 110 pound brass bell, was created in 1948. It was traditionally sounded by the cheerleaders of the victorious team. Unfortunately it mysteriously disappeared in the 1980's and hasn't been seen or heard since. Does anyone have any memories of this trophy? I got my info. second hand from an internet article.
hands89
UP Football Guru

Postby upfootball » Mon Sep 27, 2004 11:49 am

I would love to read that article. Do you have a link?
upfootball
Founder

Trophy from logging run

Postby FireDanFlynn » Mon Sep 27, 2004 1:25 pm

The Hinker Bell was donated to Menominee and Escanaba as a trophy of the annual grid game. It came into being about 1948. The bell came from a railroad in Delta County on one of the logging roads. The engine was junked and one of the owners presented the bell to his friend, John Hinker, of Menominee. Hinker, an ardent high school sports fan, then presented the bell to Mickey McCormick who was then the Maroon coach. Both Hinker and McCormick have since died.

Hinker felt that inasmuch as the bell came from a Delta County railroad and was presented to him in Menominee that it would make an ideal trophy for the Menominee-Escanaba game. He had it mounted and engraved, and thus the Hinker Bell came to be a fine trophy.

From page 87 of "Escanaba Eskymos : 100 years of Eskymo Football"
“Football competition involves a matching of wits between coaching staffs as
well as the "battle" that takes place on the field.” – Jerry Cvengros
FireDanFlynn
All UP

Postby Mustang80 » Mon Sep 27, 2004 10:53 pm

So whatever happened to it? Somebody must know when it was presented last and who won it. Could be its collecting dust in the Esky trophy case.
Friday night, 45 degrees, leaves have turned, breeze coming in off the lake, the suns going down -- There is a Heaven
Mustang80
All UP

Postby big papa » Tue Sep 28, 2004 4:06 am

Great tibit to pass along. Thanx for sharing it. I love that Name "Hinker Bell".
big papa
All UP

Good Question

Postby FireDanFlynn » Tue Sep 28, 2004 4:12 am

So whatever happened to it? Somebody must know when it was presented last and who won it. Could be its collecting dust in the Esky trophy case?

Good question. Maybe one of Dan Flynn's supporters can do something other than bash those of us who don't agree with them. I challange the few Dan Flynn supporters out there to ask their hero what happened to the Hinker Bell Trophy? Who had it last and when?
FireDanFlynn
All UP

Postby linemen82 » Tue Sep 28, 2004 5:44 am

played in esky until 1981 never heard of no bell, beat menominee 13-6 two years in a row. never heard of no stinken bell.
linemen82
UP Football Guru

Postby linemen82 » Tue Sep 28, 2004 5:55 am

I am going to the basement of brains on this one. I will not rest until I have and answer, or until 11:00 that my bedtime.
linemen82
UP Football Guru

Postby hands89 » Tue Sep 28, 2004 8:21 am

Thanks for the great info! Sorry U.P. football, I didn't bookmark the site and haven't been able to find it again. I will continue to search for it.
hands89
UP Football Guru

Postby hands89 » Tue Sep 28, 2004 1:38 pm

Thanks to lineman82 for locating the article for me. It can be viewed athttp://www.mhsaa.com/services/library/fbrivals.pdf
hands89
UP Football Guru

Mission Hinker Bell

Postby FireDanFlynn » Wed Sep 29, 2004 7:21 am

HELP WANTED

I think we should make it a mission to find the Hinker Bell Trophy. Let's dig and post leads right here. Somebody from Menominee must know something about it. I'd like to hear Coach Hofer's version of what happened to the Hinker Bell Trophy.
FireDanFlynn
All UP

Hinker Bell

Postby Rosso60 » Thu Sep 30, 2004 7:19 am

Hey wait a minute-----How big is this bell? Down here at St. Norbert after a home win all the players ring this big bell. Not saying where's there's smoke there's fire..... :)
Rosso60
All UP

Update

Postby Rosso60 » Thu Sep 30, 2004 10:44 am

* Spoke with one of the former Green Knight LB's- he said the bell down here came about 5-6 yrs ago around when Coach Purtill arrived. But added he didn't know where it came from.

* Called and spoke to the receptionist at the athletic office. She said the previous A.D. bought the bell "from around the greater area." But didn't know exactly where.

* Along with the new coaching staff, U.P. players coming down here to play, could there be some kind of special luck that came along with this bell? St. Norbert was slumping before all this. And Menominee and Escanaba are tradionally football powerhouses for the most part. Is something rubbing off? St. Norbert won their 1st ever play-off game at home last year....with the bell present. Again, I'm not trying to say where's there's smoke there's fire, but there's something strange here....
:)
Even it there was some kind of connection- would the former Kingsford players give something back to Escanaba and Menominee???
Rosso60
All UP

Postby ProudMom » Thu Sep 30, 2004 12:59 pm

I don't recall the Hinker Bell present at the football games in mid 70's. I got out my annuals from then and didn't find anything either. Did find out that there was a GNC Relay trophy which Menominee had from the '75 track season. Wonder when the passing of that ended. Also found a brief mention of the M&M game traveling trophy: a cedar log (with long brass plate with ingraved info) originated in 1938 by Rev. William Nern of Jordan College. This trophy is still presently being passed back and forth across the river and has been proudly in Menominee the last few years. I'll keep asking and seeking info on the Hinker Bell. I'll see if my mother can find her annuals so we can at least find a picture of this creature.
CONGRATULATIONS, MAROONS!!!!
2006 & 2007 STATE CHAMPIONS!!!!!!!
ProudMom
UP Football Guru

Picture of the Hinker Bell

Postby FireDanFlynn » Thu Sep 30, 2004 1:50 pm

There's a picture of the Hinker Bell in the book "Escanaba Eskymos 100 years of Football" on page 92. It shows Eskymo Coach Al Sigman and two of his 1960 players, John Fisher and Phil Davidson. Esky won the 1960 game 6-0 and kept the bell they got back in 1959.

I'll try to scan it in over the weekend. It's black and white and the quality isn't the best. It should be good enough to see if it's the bell at St. Norbert's. :shock:
FireDanFlynn
All UP

maybe found

Postby linemen82 » Thu Sep 30, 2004 9:38 pm

I think it maybe found at St Norbert College!!!!!!!!!!!!! :shock: :D :?:
linemen82
UP Football Guru

St Norbert's Bell

Postby Rosso60 » Thu Sep 30, 2004 10:10 pm

I'm being completely honest. St. Norbert did get a bell about 5 yrs ago and some people now are looking into where they got it. It appears to be more than 110lbs. (?) It gets wheeled out and after a home game (win only?) all the players stand in line and ring this bell. The receptionist at the athletic department did tell me the previous AD purchased it-but thought maybe from a church- but said wasn't 100% sure from where. Said the AD purchased it from "within the greater area." But it's probably too big for a train. (I should be ashamed here-all my wife's & myself's family members who've worked for the RR :( ) I don't know what the Green Knight players themselves think about the little tradition they started. It is a nice little touch.
I hope someway, somehow, the mystery of the Hinker Bell get's solved. Hopefully more people will get involved because you're talking about 2 super football communities here. Would be neat to bring it back!
Rosso60
All UP

Postby Mustang80 » Fri Oct 01, 2004 10:20 am

Recon Mission:
First one to get to St Norberts keeps the Bell.
Im calling God, (Coach Sayen), right now.
If I get that Bell it's coming to Munising!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Friday night, 45 degrees, leaves have turned, breeze coming in off the lake, the suns going down -- There is a Heaven
Mustang80
All UP

new news

Postby linemen82 » Fri Oct 01, 2004 2:42 pm

just got off the phone with coach Cvengros. The time line is all wrong. the bell was last used late 1960's. The 1980 story is all wrong. He feels that the bell was in the basement of the old esky high school. When he started teaching at the new high school the bell never went with him. this wasn't really a big thing as people let on, not like a little brown jug thing. It may be at St. Norbert because of distant to Menominee. He was great to talk to and still bring out a chill when I talk to him. If anything this has brought out the fire in your heart about football. :D
linemen82
UP Football Guru

Re: new news

Postby FireDanFlynn » Fri Oct 01, 2004 2:51 pm

linemen82 wrote:just got off the phone with coach Cvengros. The time line is all wrong. the bell was last used late 1960's. The 1980 story is all wrong. He feels that the bell was in the basement of the old esky high school. When he started teaching at the new high school the bell never went with him. this wasn't really a big thing as people let on, not like a little brown jug thing. It may be at St. Norbert because of distant to Menominee. He was great to talk to and still bring out a chill when I talk to him. If anything this has brought out the fire in your heart about football. :D

Good stuff #70!
FireDanFlynn
All UP

Postby hands89 » Fri Oct 01, 2004 3:00 pm

That explains why there were so many dead ends in this search. Thanks for going to a reliable source for the info. It would still be nice to locate that bell and restart a tradition.
hands89
UP Football Guru

Postby linemen82 » Fri Oct 01, 2004 3:02 pm

I still would like to check out the St. Norbert lead.
linemen82
UP Football Guru

Follow-up

Postby Rosso60 » Mon Jan 31, 2005 11:42 am

Wanted to post a follow-up here on our end. I received an e-mail from their college AD about it few months back. His e-mail was more detailed but here's what I remember:

St. Norbert's bell came from a church over near Lake Michigan. The church was being torn down & an administrative building was being put up (expanding some college). St. Norbert bought one of the three bells, had it sandblasted & refinished & mounted on a wheeled cart. It's wheeled out every home game. After a home victory, all the Green Knight players line up and ring the bell. I had a photo of this but was unable to post it.

Their AD said the bell meant more to them than some cannon or other noise maker- as bells ring throughout the campus.

If this Hinker Bell can't be located-I'm sure with the railroads that run through the area maybe someone can come up with one- (I mean talk to the RR- not steal one) or get something going to add to the tradition of the Escanaba/Menominee rivalry.
Rosso60
All UP

you never know

Postby linemen82 » Thu Jul 14, 2005 8:53 am

I do believe the mystery of the Hinker bell can be put to rest. I was standing at the girls softball game last night (munising won over tri-county15-5) also munising younger girls beat esky 26-14) and who walks up next to me, yes Angie Hirn. He was the keeper of the Bell. He states that it was in the old high school for many, many years and just like a ghost it was gone. Since he was the keeper of the bell, he start looking for it and asking around. Years later it is let out that two of esky's underworld ripped-off the bell and took it to a not so local junk yard and sold it for scrap. they had alot of brass He is about 100% sure and only told me because the two who did the taking have passed away. what a waste of history.
linemen82
UP Football Guru

Postby wild waters » Tue Jan 30, 2007 10:01 pm

:wink: to all M&M fans---thats for all the interest in this hinker bell!!!most fans today would not know what we are talking about!! even the coaches today in the schools dont understand what the bell once meant! MR. HINKER had a true love for the sport a true love of the game as well as his whole heart for community and neibors. did;t matter what race, white red or black ect... he loved his home towns m and m , being from ocono in those early days he witnessed much horrible hardships, sickness, fires,deaths. things did turn to better times for ocono, green bay, and CITYS OF M & M. but it took all people working together as a team. he grew to love his home, the people. thats why he gave so much to the schools. he didnt stop at the bell. he gave money when needed ,supplys for the stadium. support to what was needed. mr hinker gave the bell as a symbol,sprit of hope, not to worship, but for every boy and girl to come together as a team and give all you got though out life. let the bell ringof our achiements of life. I AM A GREAT-GR-NEPHEW OF THIS HINKER FAMILY- I WOULD OF LIKED TO SEEN THE RETURN OF THE BELL, AT FIRST IN 1999 WHEN I QUESTIONED ITS WHERE ABOUTS IT MAY OF BEEN FOR MR. HINKER OR ME- BUT TURNED MORE OF A EFFORT TO GET IT RETURNED FOR THE PEOPLE WHO IT WAS INTENDED TO SERVE ALL YOU GREAT PLAYS AND FANS! I DONT HAVE ANY GOOD PITURES OF THE BELL OR OF MY UNCLE . IF ANY ONE CAN HELP ME OUT THERE IT WOULD BE NICE. I AM LOOKING FOR A REPLACEMENT OF THE BELL IF THERE IS INTEREST THERE CALL ME . TIMOTHY WATERS 715-547-6249 I LIVE IN LAND O LAKES WISCONSIN.[/b]
HINKER BELL - WHERE IS IT! - ANY HINKER FAMILY OUT THERE?? WATERS FAMILY MAYBE , HEY WHERES THE BELL. I WOULD LIKE TO KNOW , I AM RELATED TO HINKER FAMILY. I WOULD LIKE TO TOUCH IT .
wild waters
UP Fan

Next

Return to Great Northern Conference