2011 Esky Schedule...

Conference talk for the Great Northern teams. Escanaba, Gladstone, Kingsford, Marquette, and Menominee.

Moderator: Moderator Group

2011 Esky Schedule...

Postby Hambone » Tue Nov 30, 2010 12:38 pm

Hambone

Re: 2011 Esky Schedule...

Postby trezdustrial » Tue Nov 30, 2010 1:28 pm

Wilson said he is negotiating with Bay City John Glenn and Traverse City St. Francis for future years, and also tried to secure U.P. opponents Negaunee, Ishpeming and Iron Mountain. "I'm still working on that for the long term," he said.

He said Ishpeming and Iron Mountain are both open the eighth week but declined to schedule the Eskymos.

Ishpeming being D7, I can understand this. But IM maybe blew a chance to make themselves a better team. I realize Esky is D3, but it's not like your scheduling one of the top teams in D3. Kingsford beats Esky and IM has beaten Kingsford. If IM was goin 5-4 or 6-3 year after year and barely making the playoff's I could understand this. Just seems odd to me that they wouldnt take this game.
trezdustrial
All UP

Postby upfootball » Tue Nov 30, 2010 7:53 pm

I wonder if Iron Mtn and Ishpeming will consider moving their opening week game to week 8 now that they both have it open. Then they can look for an out of conference opponent to open the year with. To me I would rather play the conference games in the middle or end of the season then the begining of it.

Good job by the Esky AD getting his schedule filled already. No easy task.

It would have been a stadium filler to have an Esky-Iron Mtn game. Opportunity missed there in my opinion.
upfootball
Founder

Postby ftballfan » Wed Dec 01, 2010 9:44 pm

upfootball wrote:I wonder if Iron Mtn and Ishpeming will consider moving their opening week game to week 8 now that they both have it open. Then they can look for an out of conference opponent to open the year with. To me I would rather play the conference games in the middle or end of the season then the begining of it.

Maybe IM and Ishpeming could play twice in football, one of the games not counting in the conference standings.
ftballfan
UP Football Guru

Postby Moose » Wed Dec 01, 2010 11:29 pm

Maybe IM and Ishpeming could play twice in football, one of the games not counting in the conference standings.

Doubtful
Walrack - Boddy wouldn't change the defense to a 4-3 where they could utilize my natural playmaking abilities as a roaming free safety, woulda won states if he woulda listened.
Moose
All UP

Postby upfootball » Thu Dec 02, 2010 10:01 am

ftballfan wrote:Maybe IM and Ishpeming could play twice in football, one of the games not counting in the conference standings.

Playing the same team twice during the regular season is a last resort. Nobody wants that.
upfootball
Founder

Postby Hambone » Thu Dec 02, 2010 10:07 am

The Great Northern in Wisconsin and Michigan should consider combining for football only. Marquette would have some geographic issues, but there are plenty of crossover games already.
Hambone

Postby Pigpen » Mon Dec 06, 2010 1:38 pm

I suspect that Iron Mountain still has a bad taste from the 70's.

It's one thing when your varsity gets beat 60-7 but its another when the fresh and jv experience the same thing - it kinda wears them down so that they feel they have no chance.

On the other hand - this ain't your Dad's Eskymos teams.
Pigpen
All UP

Postby upfootball » Mon Dec 06, 2010 7:40 pm

I'm pretty sure IM already plays Esky on the Frosh and JV levels most years. I'm also pretty sure IM wins most of the time.
upfootball
Founder

Postby Pigpen » Tue Dec 07, 2010 8:18 am

I guess its been a long time since I've been around.

Then again maybe they ain't your Dad's Frosh and JV Eskymos either.
Pigpen
All UP

Postby GNCrocks » Wed Jan 05, 2011 2:48 pm

I believe it shakes out like this...

1- HOME ALPENA
2- HOME ASHLAND (WI)
3- Net. Detroit WEstside Christian (@ Gaylord)
4- HOME MARQUETTE
5- HOME MEDFORD (WI)
6- away menominee
7- HOME GLADSTONE
8- HOME LAKELAND (WI)
9- away kingsford
Escanaba Eskymos: 1904,1907,1908, 1981 State Champions.....been too damn long.
GNCrocks
All UP

Postby inthecrease » Sat Apr 23, 2011 2:39 pm

WK 3 Detroit Christain @ Gaylord CANCELED

Now @ Holy Family Catholic High School, Victoria, Minnesota
State Champion Runner Up 3A
Go Mo's
inthecrease
UP Football Guru

Postby Up Football Fan » Sat Apr 23, 2011 7:26 pm

Confirmed on both http://www.highsportsport.net and on the Holy Family Catholic website, see below:

http://www.mrvconference.org/g5-bin/cli ... &category=

The Fire plays in the Minnesota River Conference....they will also be hosting Duluth Denfeld (in a nonconference game) this season, which just happens to play Kingsford this year.

Below is a link to info about the Fire, and about last season's undefeated team:

http://www.mshsl.org/mshsl/schoolactpag ... actnum=406
Support your local school district.
Up Football Fan

Postby Up Football Fan » Sat Apr 23, 2011 8:07 pm

Escanaba would need to get a travel waiver from the MHSAA to play in Victoria MN.

Per mapquest, the distance from Escanaba to Victoria is 370 miles, way over the 300 mile limit for out of state (non-boundary) games.

The 370 miles is via the shortest distance using Highway 8 across Wisconsin to Minnesota.

Using Google Maps, they come up with 2 different routes, that are a bit more than mapquest....

http://maps.google.com/maps?hq=http://m ... directions
Support your local school district.
Up Football Fan

Postby Mr. NCAA » Sat Apr 23, 2011 10:41 pm

Yep, it is another meet in the middle games in order to play the game.

Here is the week 3 open date list on here:
Dearborn Divine Child
Dearborn Heights Star International Academy
Detroit Allen Academy
Detroit Country Day
Essexville-Garber
Flint Beecher
Harper Woods
Lakeview
Melvindale Academy for Business and Tech
Onaway
Pickford
Sterling Heights Parkway Christian
Westwood

There is at least 6 Class B schools left on the list, not counting Escanaba. Class C should be an option as well.

The MHSAA uses Microsoft software so there could be a tad difference like one time mapquest was off by a little to make the game legal. I don't see it in this case since the difference is fairly big at 70 without putting specific addresses in.

I am not a big fan of waivers or otherwise BBR should have been allowed to play in the Herbie games down in Cincy since their opponent was suppose to be from Ohio and it was the other schools that made it illegal to play in the event.

Detroit Westside Christian probably cancelled the game due to Detroit Community fielding their own football team this fall per a Detroit News article and John's website www.michigan-football.com . Without the co - op program from last year to rely on the school is real small in the SEN wise = 69 unless they got another school to form a co - op with.
Mr. NCAA
Visiting Guru

Postby GNCrocks » Fri Jun 24, 2011 2:37 pm

Yes week 3 is at Victory Holy Family Cathlic (MN)...at last check on Max Preps (April) this school was ranked #1 in Minnesota and #22 nationaly :oops: But a game is a game. Happy the Mo's got one, but again this week has been a problem for Esky ever sence the GNC schedule change 8-10 years back.
GNCrocks
All UP

Postby Mr. NCAA » Fri Jun 24, 2011 4:35 pm

Your response is like two months late. I know that the game is at the Minnesota school. I complained to the MHSAA about granting a mileage waiver since the game could be played in the middle based on the MHSAA mileage rule. They basically have lost a long time supporter by doing this waiver since it is bery doubtful that I will be going to playoff games unless it is a state final involving a few teams.

BTW there isn't one Minnesota school listed in the Maxpreps preseason top 25 like you said since we want current ratings:
http://www.maxpreps.com/polls/football/xcellent25.htm
Mr. NCAA
Visiting Guru

Postby upfootball » Fri Jun 24, 2011 9:32 pm

I really dont understand why this waiver would bother anyone.

Here is the difference as I see it. Teams like Brother Rice have a boat load of teams they could play where they are located. Class B teams in the UP have very limited opportunities to find opponents. Class C teams in the UP for the most part want nothing to do with playing Class B teams. They avoid them 90% of the time. That includes Class C teams that have reached the Finals very recently. Basically Class B teams up here have an incredibly difficult time getting games. We live in a time where everybody would rather play sisters of the poor and get pasted in the first round of the playoffs. Wait I take that back... the Class D teams up here always play up. Gotta give them credit.

I am not a fan of the milage limitations the MHSAA imposes. To me it is ridiculous and they shouldnt be sticking their nose in where it doesnt belong. Hopefully they keep granting teams in the GNC waivers otherwise there will come a time where they will have a hard time getting an eight game schedule, let alone a nine.
upfootball
Founder

Postby Mr. NCAA » Sat Jun 25, 2011 12:08 am

Why have rules if the MHSAA isn't going to enforce them? Back in the 1960's the MHSAA claimed that they would crack down hard on any school violating the MHSAA mileaage rule even if there wasn't any playoffs at that moment in time (Muskegon Catholic Central got caught violating the rule against a South Dakota school in football = on John's website). You can't give waivers for some schools for a rule and not others. It just isn't right. If I am a lower peninusla AD, I would take the MSHAA to court over the injustice. Basically the only penalty that I've heard of any significance involved Detroit Community not being able to schedule out of state opponents in boys basketball for a year or two (would have to double check my email). The UP football teams that got caught violatiing the mileage rule were still allowed to schedule out of state opponents so where was the justice in restricting Detroit Community?

Since it is easier to schedule boys basketball games in the metro Detroit area, why wouldn't the MHSAA grant a waiver to play 22 games instead of 20 if the school could schedule that many for much needed revenue for the sports program? I don't envision the MHSAA doing that, but should based on the waiver granted to Escanaba for mileage violations.
Mr. NCAA
Visiting Guru

Postby upfootball » Sun Jun 26, 2011 11:57 am

The question is why have a rule that severely handicaps some schools in tough geographical areas?

I am not a fan of the rule at all.

That said a waiver has to be available. More importantly common sense has to be applied. There is no rule that was broken here that I am aware of. I assume a waiver was requested. It was approved because the MHSAA understands Esky's trouble in finding any opponent. The contract on the game was then signed.

The Detroit schools dont have enough money to go to court and lose over something as simple as that.
upfootball
Founder

Postby GNCrocks » Wed Jun 29, 2011 10:55 am

Mr. NCAA your complaint is falling on a lot of deaf ears.

If there is any penalties the MHSAA should be handing out, it should be to LP schools who break contracts, forcing schools Like Esky, Kingsford, & Menominee to play games this far away. See this forum for a myriad of examples: Ypsilanti 96' and more famously Remus-Chippewa Hills 07'.

Your complaint makes it sound like GNC schools have a choice in the matter and they choose to play games 600 miles away in Minnesota, this is just plain foolishness.

GNC (in this case Esky) choices were:

1. File a grievance against Detroit Westside Christian and force them to play or forfeit.
2. Grant the waiver to Esky to play the game.
3. Enforce the rule and force Esky to play only 8 games.

Esky got this game because of NO OTHER OPTIONS.

If anything the MHSAA should ENFORCE contracts or step in and re-align the GNC/Straits area & BNC to accommodate UP schools scheduling needs.
GNCrocks
All UP

Postby Hambone » Wed Jun 29, 2011 11:10 am

I understand that scheduling is becoming increasingly difficult due to foolish rules and worse yet, limited school budgets that are restricting travel. BUT, the last thing you want is the MHSAA stepping in and organizing conferences and dictating schedules. Ask anyone who works in Wisconsin in HS football about the mess that the WIAA has made forcing conference realignments and causing scheduling issues.
Hambone

Postby upfootball » Wed Jun 29, 2011 8:42 pm

Agreed Hambone. Dont want that. Wish there was a way to entice some schools to step it up rather then always play down, but you cant change people. You either have cajonies or you dont. Those that have them are respected. Those that dont..... we are all aware of.
upfootball
Founder

Postby ftballfan » Thu Jun 30, 2011 9:22 pm

Looks like there will be some home and homes in the GNC soon.
ftballfan
UP Football Guru

Postby Mr. NCAA » Fri Jul 01, 2011 1:52 pm

more famously Remus-Chippewa Hills 07'.

This was covered on Searn's forum as well. The school moved into a new conference or added a new member whereby they couldn't play the game. So it is falling on deaf ear down here as well.

Detroit Westside had a co - op program last year. This year they won't. DW should be the smallest school on the SEN list this fall.

Exactly how many Ontario schools did Escanaba get in touch with?

If anything the MHSAA should ENFORCE contracts or step in and re-align the GNC/Straits area & BNC to accommodate UP schools scheduling needs.

Except I have seen some complaints on here over the WIAA. Other UP posters have said that they don't want the MSHAA involved in forming leagues and such.
Mr. NCAA
Visiting Guru

Return to Great Northern