Seeking info: Francis J. "Mickey" McCormick

Conference talk for the Great Northern teams. Gladstone, Escanaba, Kingsford, Marquette, and Menominee

Moderator: Moderator Group

Seeking info: Francis J. "Mickey" McCormick

Postby paulmcdonald » Tue Dec 09, 2008 11:47 am

Hello! I am seeking information on Francis J. "Mickey" McCormick, a football coach from the 1930's to 1950's. This board mentioned him alongside something called the "Hinker Bell" trophy.

I am preparing an article in Wikipedia about this and other historic football coaches. If you like you can contribute directly to the article here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Paulmcdonald/F.J._(Mickey)_McCormick or read the article so far and respond with ideas on this board.

Help is always appreciated!

Paul D. McDonald
paulmcdonald
New to Board

Re: Seeking info: Francis J. "Mickey" McCormick

Postby MaroonFan_Ebsch » Sat Dec 13, 2008 9:52 pm

After McCormick was a a football star at Marquette University, he played with the Duluth Minnesota Eskimos. He started coaching and teaching phy. ed. at Superior Cathedral High School. In 1932, he went to coach at De Pere St. Norbert High School (later called De Pere Pennings) where he compiled a record of 9-3 in 2 seasons. He also coached basketball and had a record of 22-8. He then coached football at St. Norbert's College until football was discontinued in 43. He continued to teach for one year before going to Menominee High School where coached from 1945-48. His record at Menominee was 21-8-2. Some of his stars were Mike Shatusky, Billy Wells, and Dick Deschaine. He also started the grade school football (pop warner) program in Menominee. Many of his players went on to play college football while obtaining their degrees. He also coached at Carroll college. My dad said he believed he died of brain cancer. I hope this helps.
MaroonFan_Ebsch
UP Fan

Return to Great Northern Conference