Soo is out 2018

Conference talk for the Great Northern teams. Escanaba, Kingsford, Marquette, Menominee, and Sault Ste Marie

Moderator: Moderator Group

Soo is out 2018

Postby GNCrocks » Tue Oct 17, 2017 5:04 pm

Per an AD in the U.P. Soo notified the rest they are out in 2018.

With a high degree of belief that Gladstone will have to return to the conf.
Last edited by GNCrocks on Wed Oct 18, 2017 6:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
GNCrocks
All UP

Re: Soo is out 2018

Postby upfootball » Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:02 pm

With all due respect... your sources have been dead wrong most of this year...

Hopefully they are again.
upfootball
Founder

Postby amped0808 » Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:24 pm

Garbage....total garbage.

They brought the Soo into to help with scheduling to a degree and now they kick them out so they can get Gladstone back? Obviously the powers at be in the GNC don't want to ease their scheduling woes.
2013 Wissports HOF Inductee
Wissports Pick 'Em coordinator
Once a Warrior always a Warrior
Twitter:https://twitter.com/Captain_Joe08
amped0808
All UP

Postby GNCrocks » Wed Oct 18, 2017 6:50 am

They were not kicked out. Soo communicated to other GNC schools that 2018 they were leaving the GNC on their own. I also believe they are keeping 1/2 contracted games with GNC school going forward.
Gladstone is not officially back in, this is in "up in the air" as they did NOT apply to the WestPac and most likely will have to come back or be Independent.
Last edited by GNCrocks on Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.
GNCrocks
All UP

Postby upman01 » Wed Oct 18, 2017 3:55 pm

Here is another article in the Iron Mountain daily news saying that the 5 schools that applied to the west pac were accepted.

http://www.ironmountaindailynews.com/sp ... -west-pac/
upman01
UP Football Guru

Postby GNCrocks » Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:13 pm

With Hancock being only 15 students away from being in division 4 instead of division 5 with their Coop, maybe they should join the Great Northern conference because according to Matt Houle they would be too big to play....haha
GNCrocks
All UP

Postby Up Football Fan » Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:45 pm

With the proposed breakup of the Big North Conference (it appears all schools but the Traverse City schools want out), those defecting Big North Schools should somehow contact the GNC schools about a proposed "football only" conference.......such as:

Alpena
Escanaba
Gaylord
Gladstone
Kingsford
Marquette
Menominee
Petoskey

Sault Ste. Marie has already decided to bolt from the GNC starting next year. They can be out there in independent land if that's what they want.

Cadillac should look to join former conference rivals Benzie Central, Manistee, Big Rapids, Remus-Chippewa Hills, Reed City among others to get a conference going

The Traverse City Schools would just have to go independent since it appears they are pissing off all of the other schools in the northern lower peninsula at this time.
Support your local school district.
Up Football Fan

Postby Hueby » Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:54 pm

Up Football Fan wrote:With the proposed breakup of the Big North Conference (it appears all schools but the Traverse City schools want out), those defecting Big North Schools should somehow contact the GNC schools about a proposed "football only" conference.......such as:

Alpena
Escanaba
Gaylord
Gladstone
Kingsford
Marquette
Menominee
Petoskey

Sault Ste. Marie has already decided to bolt from the GNC starting next year. They can be out there in independent land if that's what they want.

Cadillac should look to join former conference rivals Benzie Central, Manistee, Big Rapids, Remus-Chippewa Hills, Reed City among others to get a conference going

The Traverse City Schools would just have to go independent since it appears they are pissing off all of the other schools in the northern lower peninsula at this time.

Like button pushed!
Hueby
All UP

Postby GNCrocks » Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:57 pm

I would add Ogemaw Heights to this list, they are a school without a home as well. Solid Class B/ Div 4 size school.
This would be awesome, but I honestly think a more complicated fix is down the road for all.
Last edited by GNCrocks on Thu Oct 19, 2017 7:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
GNCrocks
All UP

Postby Hueby » Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:21 pm

Do you guys think there are plans for Sault Ste Marie and all the other Class B schools in the Northern LP to form their own conference?
Hueby
All UP

Postby darthgold » Thu Oct 19, 2017 7:58 am

First time poster but have been reading these forums for years. It is pretty crappy that Soo joined for a couple of years and bolted. If the GNC wants to restore/build membership the best way to do that is look for teams that fit the same profile as them and are within a few hours of distance. I know this has been mentioned before, but I love the idea of the two GNC's in Wisconsin and Michigan merging for football only.

East
Escanaba
Gladstone
Kingsford
Marquette
Menominee

West
Antigo
Ashland
Lakeland
Medford
Merrill
Mosinee
Rhinelander

I know that doesn't balance the divisions so maybe they could sweet talk Marinette in joining the East or look to see if Antigo would be okay with moving to the East.
darthgold
New to Board

Postby Hambone » Thu Oct 19, 2017 8:46 am

I guess you guys don't believe me when I tell you this, but I've said it here at least 100 times! The WIAA has final say on what conferences its member schools are in! The schools suggested are already in conferences.

Also trust me when I tell you that you don't want the WIAA meddling in Michigan HS football conferences.
Hambone

Postby GNCrocks » Thu Oct 19, 2017 11:01 am

I confirm what Hambone is saying the WIAA is actually very anti-football. They set up their conf's with all other sports in mind, which is not necessarily a bad thing, its just bad for football. Its great for Volleyball, Soccer, Basketball ect...but limited to a 9 game season, the WIAA wants 10 team conf's. The WIAA even HATES the fact they feel forced to have to allow the M&M game to happen out of tradition.

Here is my predictios mixed with current facts.of what is most likely going to happen:
- Soo has notified GNC that they will leave the GNC in 2018.
-Soo has joined will join upwith Newberry, St. Ignace & Cheboygan and with the exception of Rudyard (8-man) just make up a straights conf.
- The smaller schools in the Big North DID talk to the GNC about a possible BigNorth/GNC Merger for FOOTBALL ONLY. However, the lower penisnula schools had travel concerns to Menominee & Kingsford. So a larger merger will never happen. (My same multiple sources have confirmed that a merger talk actually did happen), but it is dead in the water.
- Gladstone & Manistique did not apply to the new midpen/westpac merger; thus technically Manistique and Gladstone are their own conf. in 2018 until they make changes.
- Gladstone will have but no choice to re-join the GNC (where they belong anyway),
- Guess: Manistique will most likely seek shelter in the Mid Eastern or the newly formed Straights Conf.

The good news: If there is a newly formed Class B type conf in lower Michigan, they will most likely have to fill games with GNC schools, but not commit to full conf. merger.

One of the things that the MHSAA did in Basketball may help, for the first time they added lower peninsula schools to that Class B Basketball District: This year that district is: Menominee, Kingsford, Gladstone, Escanaba, Soo & now Cheboygan & Boyne City. This alone would be an awesome football conf.

Side thought: Hancocks new Football Merger takes them 12 students from being Division 4 with Escanaba...
Last edited by GNCrocks on Thu Oct 19, 2017 1:12 pm, edited 8 times in total.
GNCrocks
All UP

Postby Hambone » Thu Oct 19, 2017 11:22 am

GNCRocks...remember the Mideastern is now gone with Munising, Bark River, Lake Linden, and Norway in the West PAC for football. Manistique either heads east or plays as an independent.
Hambone

Postby GNCrocks » Thu Oct 19, 2017 11:28 am

Hambone wrote:GNCRocks...remember the Mideastern is now gone with Munising, Bark River, Lake Linden, and Norway in the West PAC for football. Manistique either heads east or plays as an independent.

Yeah I forgot about the Mini-West Pac. Yikes this is a mess.
Soo likely hides in the Straights Area Conf. with Cheboygan
GNCrocks
All UP

Postby ftballfan » Thu Oct 19, 2017 11:57 pm

Up Football Fan wrote:With the proposed breakup of the Big North Conference (it appears all schools but the Traverse City schools want out), those defecting Big North Schools should somehow contact the GNC schools about a proposed "football only" conference.......such as:

Alpena
Escanaba
Gaylord
Gladstone
Kingsford
Marquette
Menominee
Petoskey

GNC West: Escanaba, Gladstone, Kingsford, Marquette, Menominee
GNC East: Alpena, Cheboygan, Gaylord, Petoskey, Sault Ste. Marie
Four divisional games, three crossovers, and two OOC games. Football only. Do it!

Add Kingsley and Ludington to those schools and sign me up! (Benzie and Kingsley are the only Class B schools in a mostly Class D league and Ludington and Manistee are in a league with four Muskegon schools that want little of having to go to Ludington or Manistee)

I could see a football-only hookup with the Saginaw Valley League, especially if the Saginaw schools consolidate (which has been rumored for years now; Flint just completed a consolidation of their two high schools).
ftballfan
UP Football Guru

Postby Footballer72 » Fri Jul 06, 2018 3:34 pm

darthgold wrote:First time poster but have been reading these forums for years. It is pretty crappy that Soo joined for a couple of years and bolted. If the GNC wants to restore/build membership the best way to do that is look for teams that fit the same profile as them and are within a few hours of distance. I know this has been mentioned before, but I love the idea of the two GNC's in Wisconsin and Michigan merging for football only.

East
Escanaba
Gladstone
Kingsford
Marquette
Menominee

West
Antigo
Ashland
Lakeland
Medford
Merrill
Mosinee
Rhinelander

I know that doesn't balance the divisions so maybe they could sweet talk Marinette in joining the East or look to see if Antigo would be okay with moving to the East.

Maybe they are some of them on a normal distance between each other but some of them as I calculated were too far to each other to arrive there.
Footballer72
New to Board

Postby Hambone » Sat Jul 07, 2018 10:12 am

You won't see Wisconsin schools joining Michigan conferences. The WIAA and the coaches association are working on a plan for football only conferences in 2019 or 2020. Kingsford and Menominee will have an even more difficult time finding games.
Hambone

Return to Great Northern