Displaced Yoopers in WI thread. Dedicated to the "906."

Board to discuss Out of State opponents. General discussion about Out of State teams.

Moderator: Moderator Group

Displaced Yoopers in WI thread. Dedicated to the "906."

Postby Hueby » Tue May 22, 2018 10:51 am

Afternoon to all,

Before we know it the 2018 football season will be upon us. Changes again are in the air but it should be another fun season.

It's all what you make of it.

I just wanted to make a thread for those friends, families, former players, etc of U.P. Football fans who want to share the football life here in Wisconsin.

Those of us displaced Yoopers who had to leave the U.P. to "Go where the jobs are." : )

May also throw in some trivial things (non political of course)- hopefully many of you will find interesting.

Last year met a younger guy from Iron Mountain, learned the Yoopers around here have this phrase among each other stating they are from the "906."
Hueby
All UP

Re: Displaced Yoopers in WI thread. Dedicated to the "906."

Postby Hueby » Tue May 22, 2018 11:11 am

For starters, the WIAC.

Last year you had an up and coming U-W Oshkosh dethron UW-Whitewater. Here's how it ended up:

UW- Oshkosh 7-0 (12-1)
UW- Whitewater 6-1 (7-3)
UW- La Crosse 5-2 (8-2)
UW- Plateville 4-3 (7-3)
UW- Stout 3-4 (5-4)
UW- River Falls 2-5 (4-6)
UW- Stevens Point 1-6 (4-6)
UW- Eau Claire 0-7 (1-9)

The Titans advanced all the way to the Stagg Bowl, but lost that D3 Championship game to Mount Union OH 43-40.

If UWO had just had one starting U.P. product they might have pulled it off! Didn't they learn from Whitewater in having Grayvold?

Souce was from the WIAC website. The Grayvold info was my personal biased opinion ha ha.

And from my WI DNR outdoor report, Peshtigo and Oconto rivers dropped 6 inches recently, but many are having success catching walleye, northern pike and smallmouth bass.

Bear complaints are on the rise. Keep grills clean and locked up. Careful putting out bird feeders and don't leave garbage outside. This is attracting bears to people's yards.

Just some of the info.
Hueby
All UP

Postby Hueby » Sun May 27, 2018 6:29 am

Speaking of the WIAC, one thing that is sort of a "bummer" is you just don't see as many football players from the Green Bay area playing in the U-W schools like you did 10+ years ago. There are still some out there in the WI private colleges, some D2 colleges in the U.P., some throughout the midwest and a few D1 (like 10+ years ago)- but it's safe to say a big drop in those additional players going to play in the WIAC.

While on those who move on to play college football...One little recent success story is Airon Servais out of Ashwaubenon. Will tell this to the best of my knowledge. When he was a freshman, he was a tall 6'1" kid but very light- in the 125-130 weight range. He played linebacker but hurt his back, an injury causing him to miss his entire freshman season.

Think about this, these days how many kids would have quit football at this point?

But he didn't. He kept at it. Lifting and eating a lot of peanut butter. Long story short he ended up a starting lineman and left high school around 6'5" 275lbs.

Currently he is the starting center out east for Saracuse. He's about 2 inches taller and 27lbs heavier since high school. Like a couple weeks ago, he comes back to Ashwaubenon and holds a little one day clinic for today's players. This is something some of the schools around here do- their alumni who are playing college football return to give clinics on to the high school kids.

Notes from recent DNR reports-

Down around Madison there have been more than 400 projects along 100 miles of stream that have improved the trout habitat. This should help anglers be more successful.

Here's something I didn't realize- according to state and tribal harvest data, this past 2017-18 season, 548 bobcats were harvested here in Wisconsin. Did not realize we had so many bobcats here in the Badger state!

A co-worker from Coleman wasn't shocked. He said they are hard to find, with most being trapped or hunted with dogs. Reminds me of a story he told me a year back. His dad was up hunting and saw a cougar. The DNR wants you to report cougar sightings, so he contacted the DNR to do so.

To his dad's surprise, the DNR officer rebuked his claim. Told him he didn't see a cougar....but a bobcat. My co-workers dad snapped back saying something like "Look I know a cougar when I see one. Bobcat's don't have a (censored) 2 foot long tail!"
Hueby
All UP

Postby Hueby » Sun Jun 03, 2018 10:48 am

It's been a pleasure watching U.P. track highlights through the internet this past spring. Have always admired those who participate in track and field.

The WIAA had their state meet this past weekend too. It's held at UW-LaCrosse. A very nice facility and beautiful area of Wisconsin. The LAX men's and women's track teams help run and support this meet and they always do an excellent job. Aside from Kimberly winning Men's D1- the majority of the best teams come from the southern part of the state.

Around here for many years Green Bay Preble always had the best program- while Bay Port had the best baseball program. Seems the last couple years they switched roles. Bay Port in track then Preble in baseball.

Bay Port had a helluva athlete who last year took 1st place in 3 of 4 events in state. He might have taken 2nd or 3rd in the one event he didn’t win. But medaled in all 4. He also played football. He was to attend track at B1G Minnesota but Bay Port threw the hammer down on him for violating athletic rules. So he did not compete at state this year. Not sure of his scholarship status. Just a reminder to many.

In baseball was neat seeing Escanaba and Gladstone play Ashwaubenon and Preble, respectively this past spring. I don't want to sound unsupportive but like more and more sports programs at Ashwaubenon they continue to head in the wrong direction. Politics has had a role like other factors. Even a co-worker from West DePere asked me if I knew what was going on with all of their athletic programs.

In baseball for example, you know something's wrong when the Preble coach asks the Ashwaubenon coach why certain players aren't playing.

In sports, especially around here there is a lot of "Heartbreak" when politics are involved, as well as the destruction of the work ethic. Open Enrollment and Specialization are also hurting this school...IMHO.

For those of you who had family members/ancestors who served in our nation's armed conflicts- Happy belated Memorial Day. I remember when I was young Cedarville had a student-athlete who was killed in the Vietnam War. Here's a little tribute:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=GeG1wy5dlfg
Hueby
All UP

Postby Hueby » Wed Jun 06, 2018 5:44 am

Yesterday throughout the state of Wisconsin they had sectional championship games in baseball. These games were held at "neutral sites" and the winners get to advance to the state tournament held next week at Fox Cities Stadium in Grand Chute (near Appleton).

In Wisconsin they have 4 Divisions for baseball. So that means the enrollment disparity at the D1 level can be pretty high.

In our immediate neck of the woods the 3 teams remaining were Coleman in D3 while in D1 it was Green Bay Preble and West DePere.

Coleman was eliminated by St Mary Catholic 7-2. :cry:

West DePere- who defeated Oshkosh West 3-0 to get to this game- lost to Kimberly 9-4. Kimberly had knocked off Hortonville in their sectional semis earlier to advance. Kimberly wins D1 Section 4.

Also in D1, Green Bay Preble won a hard fought game over DC Everest 1-0. Then later at Bay Port high school they defeated Antigo 12-1 (guess it wasn't as much of a neutral site but oh well). Preble wins D1 Section 2.

So next week is the State Tournament down the road near Appleton. Here is a link involving the local D1 games, brought to you by a former media member who worked in the U.P.:

http://www.wearegreenbay.com/sports/hig ... 1221259624

Some of the Kimberly players in the video you might recognize. One is Badgers football recruit while another is the son of a former WIAC baseball coach...I hope I got it right!
Hueby
All UP

Postby Hueby » Sun Jun 10, 2018 10:32 am

Good Morning,

If I could share some ongoings for the life of a displaced Yooper and the world of sports around here...

First, wasn't that some outstanding NHL playoff action? It was tense in our house back during that Washington/ Tampa Bay series. Our older son has always been an Ovechkin fan, meanwhile my wife has been a Jon Cooper fan. While he coached her cousin back in Junior hockey, Cooper was also the coach for the Green Bay Gamblers- reviving the program dormant since the early 2000's, and her biggest reason..."He's really cute." ha ha

But that was one exciting Finals between the Capitols and Knights!

Was talking to a West DePere parent back on that sectionals WIAA baseball game against Kimberly. If I could share some of this conversation. Their games were played on the campus of UW-Oshkosh. Earlier that day Hortonville lost a heartbreaker to the Papermakers. Kimberly pulled off a 7th inning rally to win this game. The West DePere parent said once Hortonville pulled their pitcher-that was it. They believe the pitcher had to be pulled due to the "pitch count" but wasn't 100%.

In these games at UWO, West DePere had defeated Oshkosh North 3-0 to send them them to the Sectional Finals. You know who West DePere's biggest fans were? Oshkosh North!

The schools in the Fox Valley area are "sick and tired" of what has been going on at Kimberly. (What's funny is I mentioned this in a basketball thread which here are their complaints...)

They are sick and tired of all the "overaged players" and "open enrollment" Kimberly has been using to get an edge on them.

The parent pointed out Kimberly has no seniors but named off some of the juniors who were older than the West DePere seniors.

I told the parent I understood- but while I don't agree with it- pushing the age limit for athletic reasons is within the rules. Until it is stopped at a higher level, it will continue to be abused.

Some solutions would be to start everybody at Kindergarden when they are 6 yrs instead of 5 yrs (Which would be good as down here they shove certain academic standards down the kids throat grades earlier than we had it...plus a tougher grading system) and/or once you hit 19 yrs you are ineligible for high school athletics.

But in this game West DePere had Kimberly too. Kimberly was down a couple runs in the bottom of the 7th. The Kimberly batter delivered with 2 outs, runners on base and on an 0-2 count. West DePere also hurt themselves with an uncharacteristic 5-6 errors.

Was told through the anger/resentment- Kimberly was a very fundamentally sound baseball team.

Some girl's softball notes in the WIAA tournament- After Green Bay Preble lost to Appleton North, Appleton North advanced to play Sun Prarie (who would win it all in D1). What was interesting to me was after the Sun Prarie game, the Appleton North coach said the team found themselves in unfamiliar territory. That was the first time all season they fell and had to play from behind!

It was also neat seeing the Denmark girl's softball team reach the D2 semis. They lost to Mosinee 8-7 but the program hasn't been this far since they won State back in the late 90's. When the WIAA took over realignment back in the mid 2000's it was amazing the programs that did a 180.

Wow had more to post including football stuff but will hold off. Never a dull moment around here in sports!

Recent DNR reports involved a lot about flowers. : )
Hueby
All UP

Postby Hueby » Tue Jun 12, 2018 11:09 pm

Today down in Grand Chute (near Appleton) the WIAA held the D1 quarterfinals and semifinals in baseball. While at work I snuck on the WIAA website to follow what I could through their live updates.

Green Bay Preble- who Gladstone played very tough this past season- defeated the defending State D1 Champion Kimberly in 8 innings by a 3-2 score.

Preble lead 2-0, but Kimberly would tie the game at 2-2. Going into the final inning, Preble failed to score and what had me going was I swear on Kimberly's at bat, they had a runner on 3rd. When I rechecked the website it had gone haywire, with the boxscore showing all zeros but the home team (Kimberly) having "2 runs" in their final at bat. So I swore the Papermakers had ANOTHER dramatic come from behind win.

I was really happy for our rivals to the east. I remember seeing these Preble players in the newspaper a lot when they played travel baseball for the "Future Preble" team. I admire they remained loyal to their school.

Anyways later in the day Preble played Waunakee in the semifinals. What I saw at work on the WIAA game tracker was it was 1-1 in the 5th- with both teams scoring an unearned run. Eventually the game went into 11 innings, where Waunakee put up 2 run in the top of that inning, held Preble scoreless and won 3-1.

So for the 2nd year in a row Preble advances to the D1 State semifinals. Wish they could have advanced farther but there are just so many good baseball programs throughout the State of Wisconsin (as their are in the U.P. ;) ).
Hueby
All UP

Postby Hueby » Thu Jun 14, 2018 11:01 pm

Here were the scores for the WIAA 2018 State Championship games held at Grand Chute (Fox Cities Stadium). Took these from the WIAA website:

D4: Athens 13, Thorp 10
D3: Webster 8, (Menasha) St. Mary Catholic 2
D2: Waupun 4, Jefferson 0
D1: Waunakee 3, Arrowhead 1

In the D1 game Arrowhead was down 3-0 in the bottom of the 7th. Got a little rally going, leaving a runner at 3rd base but a little to late.

Here's a little football note down here. A different co-worker of mine lives in West DePere and her son will be a freshmen next year. He plans on playing football again as they have an upcoming football camp soon.

I don't know if all the Bay Conference teams are doing this, but at West DePere they are not having a Freshman team- but instead a "JV1" and a "JV2" team. It sounds like football is becoming like baseball and basketball. They are tearing down the grade the student-athlete is in, and instead going more by ability. Her son is a good size kid but she is not happy the coaches are planning on him playing on the JV1 team. (She won't say anything- Just naturally worried as a mother that her son will be hitting with older kids).
Hueby
All UP

Postby Hueby » Sun Jun 17, 2018 12:39 pm

First wanted to congrats the Gladstone boy's baseball team on their season's accomplishment- as well as the Escanaba girl's softball team on winning state. Quite a program they have going on up there.

If it's not a problem what I would like to do is over the summer put together little posts on the D3 college football teams here in Wisconsin. Just to help inform any Yoopers who may end up living here / raising a family here in Wisconsin.

Will be starting with the WIAC. First kicking off with UW-Eau Claire. Am going by last season's standings and will start from the bottom up. I have all my Blugolds football notes, just need to origanize my plan of posting.

After the WIAC schools will touch on some of the private colleges. While the private colleges have been wonderful to U.P. football players and U.P. athletes over the years, some U.P. products have played in the WIAC and many citizens here in Wisconsin are very proud (and rightfully so) of their U-W state colleges. These schools are the "bread and butter" for most families whose kids want to pursue higher education.

Am on vacation this week but have a "Honey Do" list from "H-E- double hockey sticks." One year after installing flooring while on vacation, I quit bidding all my vacation the following year as "If I was gonna work, I may as well get paid for it!"

Also Happy Fathers Day! I know many of you go through this too!
Hueby
All UP

Postby Hueby » Tue Jun 19, 2018 11:35 am

Eau Claire Blugolds

The Eau Claire Blugolds have fallen on hard times of late. They were pretty successful years back but over the years have been on the decline. In 2014 the program went 1-6 (1-9 overall) in the WIAC, then didn't win a game in 2015.

The program then hired a new coach in Dan Larson. Over the years he worked his way through the coaching ladder and when hired-he had been the offensive coordinator for Minnesota-Duluth.

In his first season back in 2016, under Coach Larson the Blugolds went 1-6 in the WIAC (2-8 overall) but last year 0-7 in the WIAC and 1-9 overall. Currently the team is on an 8 game losing streak.

Breaking down last season's roster, about 47 of the 102 players come from out of state- mostly Minnesota and Illinois. Most of their skilled positions were occupied by out of state players.

A few players from our neck of the woods played for the Blugolds last season- 1 each from Kewaunee, Suring, Preble, Ashwaubenon and Notre Dame Academy.

Looking at what the Bluegolds return:

On offense- They look to be in great shape as they will be experienced and most seniors at the QB (Den Hartog), RB Childs, Kuluga) and WR (Herring, Evans, Paulson) positions. Late in the season they eventually had 2 freshmen as starters (Jones & Froehlic) / gaining valuable experience. They will need someone to step in at the tight end position as last season a senior who started all 10 games will be gone.

Their offensive line should be pretty solid. The first game of the season last year they started a freshman (Peterson) at left tackle, then he was moved to right tackle the 2nd game where he was a starter until Week 6. There was some shuffling around among the line. There should be about 4 returning linemen with a lot of experience. Also one linemen who started a game last season was converted from the defensive line. However they will have to replace their best lineman from last year- a darn good center named Coenen who started all 10 games.

On Defense, Eau Claire will lose 5 of 11 staffers from last season.

On the D-Line they will have 2 of the 3 positions coming back for sure. The NG position (Thomas) will be a senior. He started all 10 games. One of the DE positions was filled by Brookshaw and Bostic the first half of the season, but the 2nd half a sophomore named Sims held down the spot and Bostic was moved to the O-line. The other DE position will be open this year.

Their LB's should be pretty good. They only lose one starter to graduation. Also late in the season a couple of freshman started at linebacker.

Keep an eye on an OLB returning as a sophomore- guy by tbe name of Martinelli. Comes from Milton, WI. He has a bright future ahead of him.

The DB's could be the Blugolds "Achilles Heal" this season. Three of the four starters graduated. So a "to be" senior (Hurley) at the safety position should be the leader back there to guide his teammates this season.

One note on special teams- in some of the game summeries Eau Claire blocked some extra points and fieldgoals. They seem to have something there.

This upcoming season the Blugolds Non-Conference opponents will be Loras (Iowa), St. Norbert College then St. Thomas (MN), then they begin their WIAC games.

Feel there will be a huge improvement from last year.

sources: UW-Eau Claire football website and D3football.com
Hueby
All UP

Postby Hambone » Tue Jun 19, 2018 4:31 pm

WIAC schools rarely recruit the U.P. primarily because they can't compete with the financial aid packages the private schools can throw at kids. Out of state tuition is steep, the privates don't have that issue. Stout, Eau Claire, River Falls, and LaCrosse get a lot of Minnesota kids because there is a reciprocity agreement between the State public schools for instate tuition.
Hambone

Postby Hueby » Wed Jun 20, 2018 6:46 pm

Yes so true on those out of state tuition costs for the WIAC schools / getting U.P. players. It's such an awesome D3 conference too. Am glad to hear reciprocity is still going strong. In recent years we heard talk of that going away. Wisconsin and Minnesota have a good thing going.

Not sure if reciprocity between WI and MN involves North and South Dakota too? I forgot to mention UW Eau Claire had a player from North Dakota.

Boy you weren't kidding Hambone- I started working on my UW Stevens Point football post. What a drop in the players from Minnesota!
Hueby
All UP

Postby Hueby » Thu Jun 21, 2018 5:02 pm

UW-Stevens Point Pointers

Last season UWSP didn't meet expectations. They went 1-6 in the tough WIAC- that one win coming over UW-Eau Claire. They actually played two Michigan D3 schools and with their non-conference record finished 4-6 overall.

Record wise it appears they were on the downside- going 3-4 each season during WIAC play in 2016 & 2015, while in 2014 achieved a winning record at 4-3. However each of these seasons they had at least a .500 or above record overall. This should be an indicator of the competitive play within the conference.

As of this post, Stevens Point is currently searching for a new head coach. The field has been narrowed down to four coaches. Meanwhile the team drove on with spring ball using the current assistant coaches.

Breaking down the team from last year's roster:

61 of the 88 players were Wisconsinites. Some of them came from schools and opponents familiar to the U.P.- Northland Pines, Southern Door, Chetek-Weyerhaeuser, Kaukauna and Marinette.

There is also a U.P. player on the team- Wide Receiver Kevin Lane, a senior from Wakefield- Marenisco.

You'll see a few players from around the country- Florida, Indiana, North Dakota, etc, but most of the out of state players come from Illinois- last season 22 of them.

As Hambone mentioned about the Minnesota players gravitating to the UW schools located closer to the Minnesota border - as UW Eau Claire had 26 from the Gopher State, the Pointers only have 1.

For this season's non-conference schedule, UWSP's oponents will be John Carroll University, Wabash College and Dakota State University.

Taking a look at what the Pointers have returning:

On offense at the skilled positions, at the QB position last season they had 5 different starters. The front runner appears to be Urmanski, a junior from Edgar, WI. One of the two main running backs returns, Dux a junior who played at Kimberly. Only one of the three wide receiver comes back- Herra from Illinois- but he's a good one. Received Honorable Mention within the WIAC last year. The Pointers are in good shape at Tight End. They return a senior and sophomore who each started half the season in 2017.

The Offensive Line looks to be in good shape at the guard and tackle positions. However they graduated their WIAC Honorable Mention center and last year's backup from California was not on the spring roster.

Defensively, Five returning Linebackers have starting experience. One to watch is Strick (Sr/Ill). At the D-Line 4 of 5 different starters return, and for the DB's 3 of 6 different starters are coming back.

One point of interest- Three out of state players (1 from Minnesota and 2 from Illinois) are interchangable. Either one can play defensive back or linebacker. Also speaking of the players from Illinois, 6 returning players were starters on defense. Add the Minnesota product and 7 of 11 projected starters on defense are from out of state.

Stevens Point did graduate a pretty good punter too.

Sources: UW-Stevens Point website and D3 football.

Here's a video when they kicked off last season against St Norbert College:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=UgKHAC0rNlM
Hueby
All UP

Postby Hueby » Fri Jun 22, 2018 11:45 am

Ahhh, silly me...

Found a better UWSP video. I hope you younger players will enjoy it. Hope it helps fire you up for the summer workouts:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=QP9d-D_DnS4

Also the previous Stevens Point head coach left to take a different head coaching job in Minnesota. Pretty interesting reading about the hiring process. In one case there will be an open forum so the public can meet the 4 remaining candidates.
Hueby
All UP

Postby Hueby » Mon Jun 25, 2018 4:43 pm

U-W River Falls Falcons

This will probably take a couple posts to do. The Falcons finished in 6th place last season in the WIAC with a record of 2-5 (4-6 overall), but they have a very good program. Personally if I were a young kid growing up in Wisconsin and wanted to play D3 football, this would be a program to look at.

Why?...

Like the other UW schools they have an outstanding coaching staff who stress academics and want to see you graduate. The student / teacher ratio is very low-small classrooms with wonderful facilities. Parts of the athletic facility were designed by the Kansas City Chiefs- who conduct their training camp there.

The head coach is Matt Walker. He will be in his 8th season. His first few years there they had 1, 2 and 0 win seasons, then the past 4 were sub .500 within the WIAC and overall. But you would never know that by how hard the team played game after game. Here they were in the bottom portion of the WIAC standings, then in one game on the opening kickoff UWRF cause and recover a fumble- but start back on the 47yd line due to "excessive celebration."

They also have an outstanding strength and conditioning program. Many of these games they played in were very physical and it was amazing how many players started all 10 games- especially on defense.

Their philosophy is "We want football players, not power lifters."

This season their non-conference opponents will be University of Minnesota Morris, Bethel University and Missouri Baptist University.

The profile of last year's team looked like this:

54 were from Wisconsin
46 were from Minnesota
9 came from Nevada (FWIW's , two had the last name "Culpepper.")
Then two from Arizona and one each from Oklahoma and Texas.

Locally for us, two players were from DePere, 1 from Denmark and U.P. opponent wise- one is from Antigo and one from Hurley.

Will break here and finish with the positions...
Hueby
All UP

Postby Hueby » Tue Jun 26, 2018 11:21 pm

UW- River Falls Falcons Part 2

(trying a different format here)

Offense

The Falcons appear to be in good shape. Last season they started with a senior QB, but in that game they virtually crushed their opponent Coe College in the stat department, but lost the game on the scoreboard. 2 lost fumbles and 3 interceptions, as well as a crucial incomplete pass to end the game. A different senior QB led the team 5 of the next 6 weeks. The game he missed was filled by Schommer - who was also the punter. The last 3 games then sophomore Beckman got the nod. Both Schommer and Beckman return.

At the fullback position, 2 backs return as sophomores. UWRF does graduate their key weapon on offense- a back named Diggins who was a work horse. Ran for over 1000 yds and was one of the leaders in receptions too. The starters at the tight end position return, as well as most of their key receivers. Keep an eye on a to-be senior named Monson.

Two starters from the offensive line graduated, but watch out for the returning left tackle named Ross. Last year as a sophomore he made the WIAC 2nd team. Two returning starters should handle the right side of the line (Helms and Peterson).

Defense

Last season the Falcons gave the top two teams in the WIAC (UW- Oshkosh and UW- Whitewater) all they could handle. Early in the season they held their opponents to 100 yds rushing in 4 of the first 5 games. However the last game of the year they had a let down as UW- LaCrosse took the Falcons out back to the woodshed in an ugly game. Aside from a few personnel changes on the 3 down linemen and a strong safety starting the last 2 games of the season, the defense stayed pretty healthy. Of the 5 different starters among the 3 man front, Johnson and Felder should cause problems for opposing teams.

The line backing corps was very good. All started every game last year. Two of those four will return. One should be a senior, Leonard (Medford, WI) and keep an eye on the junior from Somerset, WI named Praschak. Last year he was WIAC 1st team status.

Four defensive backs return with experience. A DB who handled the punt return duties graduated, so am guessing a player named Powers could fill that roll. Last season as a freshman the New Richmond, WI native started all 10 games at DB. In my notes it appears he got some reps on offense as a WR...this is why am guessing he could have the punt return duties : ) Tough to predict though.

Anyways the source comes from the UW-River Falls website. You can tell by the youtube videos the team was very close and had outstanding comradre. It's hard to believe going into last season the football program had 16 (now 17) straight losing seasons. With that, the program has begin recruiting in the Las Vegas and Arizona areas. They want to recruit in areas where there aren't D3 programs.

Anyways good luck and congratulations to all those in the U.P. Football All-Star game.

One video on UW-River Falls. The end of the video hits you if you are the parent of a football player (when they honor their seniors):

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=O-3ffSHKAqU
Hueby
All UP

Postby Hueby » Tue Jul 03, 2018 10:32 pm

UW-Stout Blue Devils

Continuing on up the WIAC standing from last season.

Just when ya gotta be impressed by UW-River Falls conditioning program, here comes UW-Stout. Talk about healthy starters...

Last season UW-Stout finished in 5th place with a 3-4 record (5-4 overall). The reason they played 9 games instead of 10 was one of their non-conference games was cancelled. They were suppose to play Trinity Bible College.

The head coach for UW-Stout is Clayt Birmingham. He comes out of Southern Door, WI and in college was a standout defensive back at UW-Stevens Point. Entering his 9th year as head coach, Coach Birmingham has coached college football at the D1, D2 and D3 levels. He has also coached at Michigan schools- Northern Michigan and Western Michigan.

Would like to point out one of his assistant coaches- Defensive Coordinator Travis Destache. Last season Coach Destache was voted the WIAC Assistant Coach of the Year by the Wisconsin Football Coaches Association.

This season UW-Stout's non-conference opponents will be Saint John's University, Gustavus Adolphus College and California Luthern University.

Breaking down last season's roster to give a profile of the team, the Wisconsin produced players were out numbered by the out of state players 46 to 49. Where the out of state players came from:

30 from Minnesota, 14 from Illinois, 1 each from Florida, California, Indiana, Nevada and France. Yes France, he was a starter on defense.

Offense

The Blue Devils offense looks to be in great shape this season. Both quarterbacks return. Jay Alston will return as a senior. He started 8 of the 9 games. He will also be a huge running threat. The back up- J. Dan Sturgeon started one game last season and UW-Stout pulled off an upset over the then 4th ranked St. Thomas Tommies. Sturgeon threw the game winning TD pass with under 90 seconds remaining. He's a solid back up but isn't the running threat Alston is. UW- Stout graduated 2 of the 3 receivers, however the returning receiver Kevion McDonald was voted 2nd team All- WIAC and he is also an outstanding All-Purpose Back. The two running backs who rotated as starters- Keyshawn Carpenter and Rayshawn Graham- both will be back.

The starting tight end returns, as well as 4 of the 5 starting offensive linemen. The line will be led by Caleb Adams at right guard- All WIAC 1st Team. Couldn't help but to notice all of the Blue Devils skilled positions were manned by out of state players. Anyways their offense is expected to be very good!

Defense

Last season the offense sputtered & sometimes at the wrong time. They were plaqued with 21 fumbles (9 lost) and would like to improve on their 3rd down conversions. Their defense was a bright spot. However- the roles could be reversed this year.

All 3 starting defensive linemen graduated. At the linebacking corps, 3 of the 4 starters are gone. The lone key ILB returning is Luke Wilz of Manawa, WI. As far as the DB's, to be senior Levi Wolf of Elmwood, WI is the only returner. Wolf will be one of the 3 captains. He rotated at both the strong and free safety positions. So they're looking at 9 defensive positions to fill with new starters.

A few other notes...

UW-Stout returns an All-WIAC honorable mention special teams player in Clay Dziekan. Also their All-WIAC 2nd team kicker Drew Pearson comes back as a senior. He's got a leg. On kick offs he can put the ball in the end zone and hit a 53 yarder last year- his accuracy can be an issue though as he barely hit half his FG attempts. Stout also needs to replace their punter.

Source comes from the WIAC and UW-Stout's websites.

Quick note from latest DNR report- Marinette County is now listed as a Chronic Wasting Disease (CWD) affected county due to a captive white-tail deer being affected. A baiting and feeding prohibition is in effect. This is Marinette County's first known occurance of the disease.

Have a safe a wonderful Independence Day.
Hueby
All UP

Postby Hueby » Thu Jul 05, 2018 10:10 pm

UW-Stevens Point announce their new coach:

https://athletics.uwsp.edu/news/2018/7/ ... coach.aspx
Hueby
All UP

Postby Hueby » Sun Jul 08, 2018 6:57 am

UW-Platteville Pioneers

Last season in the WIAC the Pioneers finished in 4th place with a 4-3 record, 7-3 overall. Some of those conference losses were very close games.

The head coach is Mike Emendorfer, originally from Lockport, New York. The program has been really coming on the past five seasons. Two years ago they finished 8-3 and earned a national playoff birth.

When Coach Emendorfer was announced head coach back in 1999, a quote on the school's website summed up his philosophy..."Yes, we will run the ball. We will run with it after we catch it." Under Coach Emendorfer the program changed from a running Wing -T offense to a "The Thrill is in the Air" brand of football which increased attendance, more WIAC records broken, more WIAC player recognition and winning.

This season's non-conference opponents will be East Texas Baptist, Thomas More and Lakeland College (plan to touch on them later).

In the profile from last season's team, the Wisconsin produced players were outnumbered by the out of state players about 38 to 69. As a matter of fact, Illinois and Iowa provide the bulk of the players. There were actually more players from Illinois than Wisconsin (51-38):

Illinois: 51
Wisconsin: 38
Iowa: 11
New Mexico: 2
Then one each from California, Florida, New York, Germany and Michigan.

The one Michigander is from the U.P.! ...Offensive Lineman Collin Uhazie, who will be a senior. Uhanzie is from Escanaba. He has yet to play but we'll be cheering for him.

Offense

Will be in great shape. Last season Plattville started a freshman QB for their first 3 games (all non-conference) Cade Earl from New Mexico, but when the WIAC opponents came up they went with Jack Eddy. Eddy returns as a senior. Seniors Wyatt Thompson (Mt. Horeb) and Sean Studer return, as well as Bo Babich. Babich is from Appleton North and last season as a freshman made All WIAC honorable mention as a special teams player.

The wide receivers will be strong. They lost a top receiver to graduation but should be led by 2nd team WIAC Mark Johnson. (Babich can also play receiver).

The center and left side of the O-line return. The right side appear to be replaced by two upcoming juniors.

Defense

The 3 starting defensive linemen all graduated. These will be big shoes to fill. Marty McGrail and Jacob Forney should return to lead the linebacking corps. The DB's are in outstanding condition- all starters returning. CB Luke Johnson was 2nd team All-WIAC.

The Pioneers special teams should be strong. The kicker, holder and long snapper are back as well as All-WIAC 1st team punter Connor Foley.

Couldn't help but to notice 8 of the 11 starters on last season's defense were from Illinois. 1 from Iowa and 2 from Wisconsin.

Source: UW-Platteville website and WIAC website

Here is a little 2017 highlight video:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=1aaEgNLGqpw
Hueby
All UP

Postby Hueby » Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:55 am

These schools throughout Wisconsin- both State and private colleges- are constantly upgrading their facilities. Here are UW-Platteville's:

http://athletics.uwplatt.edu/facilities/Index

There is a short video you can click on to see more about the Pioneer Activity Center.

Little on the latest DNR Weekly News- Turkey hunters registered 38, 885 birds during the 2018 spring turkey hunting season. This was a 10% decrease from 2017 because of all the snowfall the beginning of the season. The weather also caused a huge decline during the Youth Hunt.
Hueby
All UP

Postby Hueby » Tue Jul 17, 2018 10:39 pm

UW-LaCrosse Eagles

The 3rd place team in the WIAC last season. They finished 5-2 in the conference, 8-2 overall. A very good year after 10 frustrating seasons. Back in 2006 the Eagles finished in 2nd place at 6-1, made a D3 playoff appearance and finished the season at 9-2. Then for the next 10 seasons LAX had a lot of 5th-7th place finishes in the WIAC. A lot of 2-3 wins within the WIAC.

The Head Coach is Mike Schmitt. Coach Schmitt played his prep football in the football community of Menomonie, Wisconsin under Coach Joe Labuda. After those successful years he went on to play both football and baseball at UW-LaCrosse, then coached at colleges in Iowa and Minnesota.

This will be his 3rd season as head coach. Two years ago the Eagles went 2-5 (5-5) which 2-3 WIAC wins a season was the norm. But last year under Coach Schmitt UW-LaCrosse made a complete turn around.

The profile of last year's team was what one would expect- 83 of the 110 players were from Wisconsin. Numbers from Out of State players:

Illinois: 10
Minnesota: 9
Missouri, Texas, Oregon, Arizona, Iowa: 1 each
Finland: 2
Yes that is correct! One offensive lineman and a defensive back were from Finland!

This season's non-conference opponents will be Luther College (Iowa), Illinois Wesleyan University and from North Dakota- Dickinson State University.

Offense

The to be senior David Drew eventually started the last 4 games of the season and made the All-WIAC 2nd team. Their tight end positions are in good hands with two returning and virtually splitting the playing time. The edge should go to Cole Spieker. The wide receivers will be inexperienced as their 3 key starters all graduated. The running back position should have competition between Jalen Clarke, Peter Klissing and Trenton Smith. The offensive line will be in great shape as 4 of the 5 return.

Defense

Will be very inexperienced. Only 3 of the 11 key starters return. One would be Linebacker Jacob Krueger from Pewaukee- he started 9 games as a freshman. A defensive end and one defensive back. Six of the Eight on defense who graduated earned some type of All WIAC 1st, 2nd or Honorable Mention recognition. They had a darn good defense last season.

Special Teams

The Eagles return Michael Pakos, All-WIAC Special Teams Player and in the Honorable Mention catagory, Sean Parker returns as the team's punter. He was only a freshman last season.

One thing that stood out for LAX compared to the other WIAC schools like Stout and River Falls, was injuries. Last season between both offense and defense the Eagles used 36 different starters. Five of those starters started all 10 games. The silver lining is it gave more players the opportunity to get playing time.
Hueby
All UP

Return to Out of State Board