Conference Realignment 2020

General board to discuss Upper Peninsula football.

Moderator: Moderator Group

Re: Conference Realignment 2020

Postby u.p.power » Tue Jul 16, 2019 3:17 pm

How about menominee & joining a Wisconsin football conference in2020?
u.p.power
UP Football Guru

Postby Finchwidget » Tue Jul 16, 2019 9:53 pm

Also, been meaning to ask this earlier: since LLH is pretty much confirmed to be making the move to 8 man after this season, does this mean the West PAC will no longer be a closed conference? With an odd number of teams, I don't see how they could continue to stay closed.
Finchwidget
UP Fan

Postby Hambone » Wed Jul 17, 2019 8:16 am

The MHSAA is the entity blocking Menominee from playing in a Wisconsin conference. Kingsford was never considered from what I've been told.

The West PAC will be totally different next year. LLH is likely going to be 8 man, the Gogebic co-op is definitely breaking up. Gogebic may actually turn into 3 8 man teams. There won't be enough teams to close the conference, unless they force even more crossover games. Those will definitely put the small schools at a huge disadvantage.

I hope the proposed changes to the playoffs force the largest West PAC schools to have to play tougher schedules that include putting GNC teams on the schedule.
Hambone

Postby Finchwidget » Wed Jul 17, 2019 11:29 pm

What's up with Gogebic? I knew Ironwood wasn't pulling nearly as many players to the co-op as you'd expect a school of its size to, but I figured that they'd just cut Ironwood, leave the co-op as just Bessemer and Wakefield, and drop down to the West PAC Iron instead of Copper.
Finchwidget
UP Fan

Postby Hambone » Thu Jul 18, 2019 7:25 am

The problem with the Gogebic co-op is simple, the three schools can't get along. The biggest reason is there is a battle over who gets to host the home games, last year it was Bessemer, this year Ironwood, next Wakefield. The other issue is Ironwood is the largest school, but contributes the least amount of kids to the co-op, this year will be 3-4 varsity players. They didn't do a very good job selling the co-op to the kids or the communities. There's a lot of talented kids that are sitting. Bessemer has a lion's share of the talent, they have several strong classes right now.

I understand Wakefield feeling frustrated with a lack of home games, but the truth is their field and facility are not good. Plus they don't have lights, I'm not sure you can convince an entire conference to play all of Gogebic's home games on a Saturday when there are two fields as part of the co-op available with lights.

Ironwood is probably out of this after this season. I hope Bessemer and Wakefield/Marenisco can make this work and move to the Copper Division. I'm not sure Wakefield can run a stand alone 8 man program with 60 kids or so in the HS. There aren't a lot of athletes in the school.

None of the schools over here are hiring teachers that want to coach, programs at all levels are coached by people from the community and it's turned into a revolving door.
Hambone

Postby Finchwidget » Thu Jul 18, 2019 10:40 pm

Why don't they alternate so that each school gets one home game per season? Like if Gogebic had home games on Weeks 1, 3, 4, 7, and 9, give Ironwood weeks 1 & 7, Bessemer weeks 3 & 9, and Wakefield week 4. Sure, one or two of the schools might get two home games that season while the others might only get one, but I imagine it'd still beat having to wait two whole years between using your respective fields.

Regardless of that though, I imagine Gogebic is probably going to fall apart no matter what happens, from what youve told me. I think the best case scenario is Ironwood leaving and becoming an 8 man team, while Bessemer and Wakefield stick together and drop to the West PAC Iron. Ironwood might have a lot more success in the 8 man game than 11 man, and Gogebic might actually be able to hold its own once it drops down to a smaller size league with some competition more on its level. I guess in theory Wakefield and Bessemer could also go 8 man instead; Wakefield has a little less than 100 students, and there have been a fair few successful 8 man teams with much lower enrollment than that. But I think once Ironwood is out of the picture, there won't really be a need for that; football co-ops larger than 2 schools only really work if the other schools in the co-op are smaller schools that would have no chance of fielding a team on their own in any capacity, like Hancock & Gaylord St. Mary. Once it comes down to just Bessemer and Wakefield, I think it'll become a lot more manageable.
Finchwidget
UP Fan

Postby Hambone » Fri Jul 19, 2019 7:24 am

You're scheduling suggestion is applying common sense, none of that is happening in this situation. The coaching staff has done a great job trying to keep this thing together. It's the other adults in the communities that are messing this thing up, if they can't get along for the sake of keeping 11 man football alive, imagine what it's like when they try and discuss consolidation? Kids just want to play, that's what is being missed in this entire situation.
Hambone

Postby Hambone » Thu Jul 25, 2019 7:22 am

This Gogebic co-op situation has taken a pretty amazing turn of events. Last night the Bessemer schools agreed to stay with the co-op the way it currently stands through the 2020 season, I now expect the other schools to stay in it. Wakefield is supposed to get all the home varsity games for 2020, I'm not sure how that is going to sit with the rest of the conference. How many teams are going to want to travel on Saturdays, when there are two fields available on Friday night?

I very happy for the kids on the Gogebic Range who don't have this hanging over their heads for a couple of years.
Hambone

Postby GNCrocks » Fri Jul 26, 2019 8:50 am

With two fields in the co-op having lights, those "should" be the only fields in consideration of hosting games to be honest.
However, the silver lining is, with a shortage of officials, Saturday games may help that. But Saturday games suck IMO, even playoffs.
GNCrocks
All UP

Postby MNYooper » Tue Jul 30, 2019 1:34 pm

Thanks for the update on Gogebic. I am a former Speed Boy. Hambone has it nailed about the 3 schools though, all
of them had decent 11 man programs thru the early 1990's and there were glory years for all of them in the 1920's thru 1960's with
good players and good coaches. That bred pretty strong town/school rivalries amongst the 3 districts that really have
never gone away. My dad was on the Bessemer School Board in the 60's and 70's and consolidation was talked about even then in the wake
of the last iron mines closing, and has comeup many times since, but the city rivalries and fear of losing local sports teams has
always stopped it. Ironwood has usually been the main interested party to consolidate in the past 20 years. But neither of the
other districts would merge with them. I think its of course not only the sports, but the loss of schools and jobs that
would take place with consolidation.... now you have 3 principals, 3 superintendents, and of course 3 complete
school districts with teachers and staff with their own grades and responsibilities.
MNYooper
UP Fan

Postby Finchwidget » Thu Nov 14, 2019 6:21 pm

I just thought of this a little while ago, and while it seems like it would work well to me, I wanted to get your guys' thoughts on it since I'm no UP expert: what are the odds of Munising going 8 man and Mano joining the NMFL?
Finchwidget
UP Fan

Postby yoopernib2 » Thu Nov 14, 2019 8:51 pm

Finchwidget wrote:I just thought of this a little while ago, and while it seems like it would work well to me, I wanted to get your guys' thoughts on it since I'm no UP expert: what are the odds of Munising going 8 man and Mano joining the NMFL?

My guess is neither of those things happen, in 2014 Munising was the runner up in D8, not that long ago, as far as Mano think they are happy in the WestPac and are building that program and will become contenders.
yoopernib2
UP Football Guru

Postby GoBlue1 » Thu Nov 14, 2019 11:01 pm

It is my understanding that both Munising and Lake Linden are both going to be 8-man next season.
GoBlue1
UP Fan

Postby GoBlue1 » Thu Nov 14, 2019 11:02 pm

This will make 16 8-man teams in the U.P.
GoBlue1
UP Fan

Postby yoopernib2 » Fri Nov 15, 2019 6:52 am

GoBlue1 wrote:It is my understanding that both Munising and Lake Linden are both going to be 8-man next season.

Where did you get that info??
yoopernib2
UP Football Guru

Postby GoBlue1 » Fri Nov 15, 2019 10:37 pm

Information came from a few different Athletic Directors....heard they already applied to be in conference.
GoBlue1
UP Fan

Postby Hambone » Fri Nov 15, 2019 10:42 pm

Norway school board has authorized a move to 8 man as well.
Hambone

Postby yoopernib2 » Fri Nov 15, 2019 11:58 pm

Hambone wrote:Norway school board has authorized a move to 8 man as well.

Isn't the cut off number 215 this year for 8-man eligibility? Norway is at 224 this year do they see losing 9 students next year or do they not care about playoffs?
yoopernib2
UP Football Guru

Postby longball » Sat Nov 16, 2019 6:35 am

Norway just getting ready for the future of 8 man, they aren’t making the playoffs next year in 11 man. Mano gad a nice season, but lose their stud, don’t he too excited about an up & coming program.
longball
UP Football Guru

Postby Hambone » Sat Nov 16, 2019 10:18 am

I thought the cutoff for the 8 man playoffs is Class D schools only.
Hambone

Postby GoBlue1 » Sat Nov 16, 2019 10:28 am

The cut-off line moves to 215 starting next season.
GoBlue1
UP Fan

Postby upfootball » Tue Nov 19, 2019 6:44 pm

GoBlue1 wrote:The cut-off line moves to 215 starting next season.

The cutoff line is at 188 for Class D this year. It normally moves down and isnt known until the spring sometime.

Has something changed? And changed drastically?

Deckerville was one of a handful of teams that were playing 8 man that were ruled ineligible for the playoffs earlier this year because they bumped up to a Class C team with an enrollment of 195.

Here is the cutoff for Class D in the last few years

2019 - 188 and below
2018 - 193 and below
2017 - 203 and below
2016 - 206 and below
2015 - 212 and below

You see where this trends. Now if the MHSAA is implementing something new with the new playoff points system in 2020.... I can understand a change. I just haven't seen it.

But based on the current system.... Norway is too large for 8 man at 224 students.

And even if it is 215 with the new system. Does Norway want to play that game of being so close to the cutoff that there may be seasons they are ineligible for the playoffs? What conference wants to take a chance on a school like that?

Has Norway thought about a co-op? I realize the school pride, but IMO... thats a much better option with them being right next to Iron Mountain or Kingsford.
upfootball
Founder

Postby upfootball » Tue Nov 19, 2019 8:20 pm

Found the answer to my own question.

https://www.michigansthumb.com/sports/a ... 834291.php

Also nice to see a Stephenson grad is coaching Millington. Did not realize that.
upfootball
Founder

Previous

Return to Upper Peninsula Board