Super U.P. conf. GNC/westpac Merger

General board to discuss Upper Peninsula football.

Moderator: Moderator Group

Re: Super U.P. conf. GNC/westpac Merger

Postby Hambone » Mon Mar 04, 2019 2:37 pm

You are missing the point here, when the West PAC megaconference was formed it was made clear that none of the schools wanted anything to do with playing GNC schools. As long as you have the ridiculous six wins to get in the playoffs there is no need to play a tough schedule.

The Soo has ran from the GNC schools for years, choosing to play schools they are much bigger than.

Why would Lake Linden want to co-op with other schools and get forced up a division or more?

Hurley is done playing Michigan schools, that was a done deal when they were kicked out of the West PAC.
Hambone

Postby GremlinNation » Mon Mar 04, 2019 5:13 pm

Hambone wrote:You are missing the point here, when the West PAC megaconference was formed it was made clear that none of the schools wanted anything to do with playing GNC schools. As long as you have the ridiculous six wins to get in the playoffs there is no need to play a tough schedule.

You may be pessimistic about football in the Upper Peninsula, but that doesn't mean I don't get what is going on. I just chose to be optimistic about the situation, because Copper Country football has rising, despite the state of UP football. Do I need to remind you that the smallest school in the West PAC, LLH, played Gladstone and was competitive. That Hancock had Marquette on their schedule, and played Menominee last year, and was in a close game. That Calumet played Gladstone for 6 years before the creation of the "Megaconference" and won 5 of them, and played Marquette the 10 years before that, and were 6 and 4. The only team missing here is Houghton, and they are perennially the worst team in the West PAC, but that is changing, they are gaining players, and are starting to stable the coaching vacancies recently.

The only teams that don't want to play the GNC are the Mid-Pen schools, and they are the only teams that truly benefited from the merger. Which you can complain all you want about, but in reality the GNC started that, specifically Gladstone. The whole point of a united UP conference is just that, unity, and you aren't going to have that if you ridicule two thirds of the schools in the UP because they could come to an agreement, one which may have benefited the Mid-Pen teams in the short term, but is probably the first step towards a full UP conference. The West PAC schools are competing with the Mid Pen, Calumet and WIC made the playoffs, and the rest are improving so they can compete with those schools, and later when the UP becomes one conference, compete with the GNC.

Hambone wrote:The Soo has ran from the GNC schools for years, choosing to play schools they are much bigger than.

Why would Lake Linden want to co-op with other schools and get forced up a division or more?

Hurley is done playing Michigan schools, that was a done deal when they were kicked out of the West PAC.

The Soo doesn't matter in this, the first point of this was a West PAC-GNC merger, it was just an idea to help improve UP football, which is what I would like to see happen.

And LLH has greater tradition and pride in their football team than probably any other team in the UP. They would rather jump from class 8 to 7 instead of losing that for good.

Ok, I was just listing off rivalries I could think of, because a major issue that is shown throughout this site is loss of rivalries, and Ironwood is in a Wisconsin conference, they know the kids in Hurley, they want to play Hurley, if both teams survive that game probably would come back, not Hurley playing teams like Houghton and LLH, but Hurley v Gogebic.
GremlinNation
UP Fan

Postby Hambone » Mon Mar 04, 2019 7:53 pm

LLH picked Gladstone in a meaningless game to fill out a schedule, good for them but that won't happen every year. LLH is likely to go 8 Man before they co-op.

Yes, Hancock had Marquette on the schedule before the megaconference happened. Hancock made hay with their co-op,but that won't last forever. You're not going to get those kind of kids every year.

When the West PAC AD's drank the MPC's Kool-Aid, they gave up control of their fate. They chose filling schedules over all else. Agree the MPC schools are ducking the GNC.

I'll believe it when I see it when Houghton stops hiring football coaches every couple of years.

Ironwood does play in a Wisconsin conference for everything but football, they're probably going to get booted from their co-op after this year because they aren't putting enough players into it, no sense for Gogebic to play with the big West PAC schools when Ironwood gives them six to eight kids.

Hurley is going to a Wisconsin conference, no Michigan schools will be scheduled it doesn't matter what happens in Michigan.
Hambone

Previous

Return to Upper Peninsula Board