Super U.P. conf. GNC/westpac Merger

General board to discuss Upper Peninsula football.

Moderator: Moderator Group

Super U.P. conf. GNC/westpac Merger

Postby GNCrocks » Sat Oct 20, 2018 2:33 am

So the ball rolling has started....
not the worst idea.

http://www.dailypress.net/sports/local- ... alignment/
GNCrocks
All UP

Re: Super U.P. conf. GNC/westpac Merger

Postby yooperguy1984 » Sat Oct 20, 2018 5:36 am

It all seemed very inevitable, what with the WI chooses being assigned conferences and locking out any scheduling out-of-state games mid-to-late season. My question for this story: Does Jacques know something about LL-H given that Gladstone made a last-minute arrangement to schedule a game at the end of the year? It would seem this story coming out in light of the end of the first season that involved implosions with Gogebic and Manistique, while LL-H, BR-H and most of the GNC struggled just to stay afloat competitively, suggests that major changes are being considered.
yooperguy1984
UP Fan

Postby GNCrocks » Sat Oct 20, 2018 9:33 am

Of course Negaunee baulked at this. All they care about is the six easiest wins they can get
GNCrocks
All UP

Postby yoopernib2 » Sat Oct 20, 2018 11:16 am

GNCrocks wrote:Of course Negaunee baulked at this. All they care about is the six easiest wins they can get

Ya just like they got this year in that crappy WestPac conference!!!! Wait Negaunee went 5-4....
yoopernib2
Yooper Freak

Postby NeonDeion21 » Sat Oct 20, 2018 12:46 pm

I get both sides of it. The GNC wants to play UP schools and the strong class C programs are the most obvious candidates. But in the meantime the Bark Rivers and Manistiques and Munisings get a free pass to dummy down their schedule as much as they can. Why don't we just have Ishpeming, Negaunee and Iron Mountain join the GNC so none of them ever make the playoffs again and the less competitive C teams can make a participation conference that the winner of gets to get pounded by a downstate team in the playoffs!!
Lol all sarcasm aside I do feel for the GNC and Kingsford having 5 Wisconsin opponents is ridiculous. Honestly the best thing that can happen for UP football is the state starts closing schools and combining districts to save money. I know this won't be possible everywhere but in my area people have talked about an Ishpeming and Westwood merger for years. Their combined district range as far as area, is on par with many single districts in the UP. With a combined enrollment of about 600 they would fit right in in the GNC and be quite competitive as well.
NeonDeion21
Yooper Freak

Postby yoopernib2 » Sat Oct 20, 2018 1:45 pm

NeonDeion21 wrote:I get both sides of it. The GNC wants to play UP schools and the strong class C programs are the most obvious candidates. But in the meantime the Bark Rivers and Manistiques and Munisings get a free pass to dummy down their schedule as much as they can. Why don't we just have Ishpeming, Negaunee and Iron Mountain join the GNC so none of them ever make the playoffs again and the less competitive C teams can make a participation conference that the winner of gets to get pounded by a downstate team in the playoffs!!
Lol all sarcasm aside I do feel for the GNC and Kingsford having 5 Wisconsin opponents is ridiculous. Honestly the best thing that can happen for UP football is the state starts closing schools and combining districts to save money. I know this won't be possible everywhere but in my area people have talked about an Ishpeming and Westwood merger for years. Their combined district range as far as area, is on par with many single districts in the UP. With a combined enrollment of about 600 they would fit right in in the GNC and be quite competitive as well.

Ishpeming and Westwood merger though you were better informed than that chances, when hell freezes over, most I know including me would send there kids to Negaunee. keep thinking.
yoopernib2
Yooper Freak

Postby NeonDeion21 » Sat Oct 20, 2018 3:38 pm

Lots of people would be unhappy, yes. Doesn't change the fact that many have speculated about it due to the declining enrollments. You can be as butt hurt as you want but if it happens it won't be a decision that's made locally. It would be the state stepping in to save money.
NeonDeion21
Yooper Freak

Postby Tiger » Sat Oct 20, 2018 5:17 pm

NeonDeion21 wrote:I get both sides of it. The GNC wants to play UP schools and the strong class C programs are the most obvious candidates. But in the meantime the Bark Rivers and Manistiques and Munisings get a free pass to dummy down their schedule as much as they can. Why don't we just have Ishpeming, Negaunee and Iron Mountain join the GNC so none of them ever make the playoffs again and the less competitive C teams can make a participation conference that the winner of gets to get pounded by a downstate team in the playoffs!!

The fact that you left Calumet off your list next to Ishpeming, Negaunee and Iron Mountain tells me you're not very aware of who the top teams are in the U.P. that are not in the GNC. It's still very possible those teams could make the playoffs if they join the GNC. They just would be a lot less likely to be putting up 9-0 seasons like Calumet and Ispheming did this year. Calumet has played Gladstone for years and has played Marquette a few times. They're honestly not afraid of anyone in the YOOP. Ishpeming is the only small West Pac team you listed, it seems to me that you're bias to them. I don't see them stepping it up to the GNC over Houghton even.

I also noticed your next post about school mergers. This is a very likely scenario in the next 10 years or less if the trend continues. However, when this does start to happen a lot will be considered with how they are merged. Most likely the biggest school in the area will absorb the smaller schools until at full capacity(Don't expect them to build new buildings.) It's more likely Negaunee takes on more students over an Ishpeming Westwood merger. It's even possible all 3 combine depending how extreme the state decides to shake things up. It will come down to which school is the most up to date and has the most capacity space. The biggest changes are going to come from the copper country and the western up were they have a ton of tiny schools. Ishpeming is huge compared to these school. Hancock for example easily has enough space to take on a lot of the small schools in the area that honestly have no business being open this very minute, and wouldn't be in a lot of other states.
Tiger
UP Football Guru

Postby trautio » Sat Oct 20, 2018 6:16 pm

yoopernib2 wrote:

Ishpeming and Westwood merger though you were better informed than that chances, when hell freezes over, most I know including me would send there kids to Negaunee. keep thinking.

It's closer than you think Yoopernib. Send them where you want - Negaunee will for sure be in the GNC then. Good luck. This whole thing is a process - the MPC/West Pac Merger, now the GNC looking to combine. A lot of people (obviously GNC, for good reason) didn't like the MPC/WP merger. Negaunee will do everything in their power not to allow a GNC/WP merger. They would be a smaller team in the larger division. If you were them - would you want that? No. But it will be a sure thing in 2-3 years - maybe sooner. It has to be done. UP Football is fragile right now with numbers down across the board. Puff out your chest and say "NOT ISHPEMING" - but how many players will they have next year? 12 juniors - 1 sophomore on the JV team - no sophomores on varsity this year. That's the usual for teams Ishpeming's size now. negaunee had it last year - several others did last year, this year and will have the same issue for year's to come. I would say this...there may not be ice yet in Hell, but it's snowing....lol.
trautio
UP Fan

Postby yoopernib2 » Sat Oct 20, 2018 6:21 pm

Tiger wrote:

The fact that you left Calumet off your list next to Ishpeming, Negaunee and Iron Mountain tells me you're not very aware of who the top teams are in the U.P. that are not in the GNC. It's still very possible those teams could make the playoffs if they join the GNC. They just would be a lot less likely to be putting up 9-0 seasons like Calumet and Ispheming did this year. Calumet has played Gladstone for years and has played Marquette a few times. They're honestly not afraid of anyone in the YOOP. Ishpeming is the only small West Pac team you listed, it seems to me that you're bias to them. I don't see them stepping it up to the GNC over Houghton even.

I also noticed your next post about school mergers. This is a very likely scenario in the next 10 years or less if the trend continues. However, when this does start to happen a lot will be considered with how they are merged. Most likely the biggest school in the area will absorb the smaller schools until at full capacity(Don't expect them to build new buildings.) It's more likely Negaunee takes on more students over an Ishpeming Westwood merger. It's even possible all 3 combine depending how extreme the state decides to shake things up. It will come down to which school is the most up to date and has the most capacity space. The biggest changes are going to come from the copper country and the western up were they have a ton of tiny schools. Ishpeming is huge compared to these school. Hancock for example easily has enough space to take on a lot of the small schools in the area that honestly have no business being open this very minute, and wouldn't be in a lot of other states.

Bias here no.... da!!! Remember as you dis Ishpeming it was Calumet that decided they didn't want to play Ishpeming after 2015, thought Hurley was a better choice???? Just think of that game this year!!!
yoopernib2
Yooper Freak

Postby yoopernib2 » Sat Oct 20, 2018 6:33 pm

trautio wrote:
yoopernib2 wrote:

It's closer than you think Yoopernib. Send them where you want - Negaunee will for sure be in the GNC then. Good luck. This whole thing is a process - the MPC/West Pac Merger, now the GNC looking to combine. A lot of people (obviously GNC, for good reason) didn't like the MPC/WP merger. Negaunee will do everything in their power not to allow a GNC/WP merger. They would be a smaller team in the larger division. If you were them - would you want that? No. But it will be a sure thing in 2-3 years - maybe sooner. It has to be done. UP Football is fragile right now with numbers down across the board. Puff out your chest and say "NOT ISHPEMING" - but how many players will they have next year? 12 juniors - 1 sophomore on the JV team - no sophomores on varsity this year. That's the usual for teams Ishpeming's size now. negaunee had it last year - several others did last year, this year and will have the same issue for year's to come. I would say this...there may not be ice yet in Hell, but it's snowing....lol.

Ya we know all about it low numbers barley making it. But as low as our numbers were we had a JV team that played 9 games. How does that stack up against oh I don't know, lets just take the largest team in the GNC Marquette how many game did MQTs JV TEAM PLAY???
yoopernib2
Yooper Freak

Postby yoopernib2 » Sat Oct 20, 2018 6:34 pm

Sorry about the double
Last edited by yoopernib2 on Sat Oct 20, 2018 7:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
yoopernib2
Yooper Freak

Postby trautio » Sat Oct 20, 2018 6:37 pm

All the more reason to merge GNC-W/P. You're making the case. At some point, it's not "every man for himself", it's what can be done about the declining numbers and enrollment in the entire UP, except for a few schools?
trautio
UP Fan

Postby yoopernib2 » Sat Oct 20, 2018 7:01 pm

trautio wrote:All the more reason to merge GNC-W/P. You're making the case. At some point, it's not "every man for himself", it's what can be done about the declining numbers and enrollment in the entire UP, except for a few schools?

Never said I was against the GNC-W/P merger, But you GNC guys sure have a chip on your shoulder, hard to work with some one that just wants to put you down. Here's something we should agree on LLH played a GREAT game today against a much larger opponent, that program should hold their heads high, with low numbers they never forfeited and played a full 9 games.
yoopernib2
Yooper Freak

Postby NeonDeion21 » Sat Oct 20, 2018 11:33 pm

Tiger wrote:

Calumet is definitely a strong program in the UP! Sorry I offended you by not mentioning them along with who I perceive as the strongest class C programs over the last 20 years. You can say I'm biased but Calumet played Ishpeming 18 times and hold a 5-13 record against them... no bias, just basing my assessment on results :roll:
NeonDeion21
Yooper Freak

Postby trautio » Sun Oct 21, 2018 8:12 am

yoopernib2 wrote:

And if you're taking shots at Westwood or any other area district...what was the score last week and last year in football against Negaunee...districts in basketball the past 3 out of 4 years vs both Negaunee and Ishpeming...I would say things are on the rise and changing there. Don't tell me about "education" - you are talking sports....Get your ice skates out...
trautio
UP Fan

Postby yoopernib2 » Sun Oct 21, 2018 9:16 am

trautio wrote:
yoopernib2 wrote:
Neon Deion 21 wrote:I get both sides of it. The GNC wants to play UP schools and the strong class C programs are the most obvious candidates. But in the meantime the Bark Rivers and Manistiques and Munisings get a free pass to dummy down their schedule as much as they can. Why don't we just have Ishpeming, Negaunee and Iron Mountain join the GNC so none of them ever make the playoffs again and the less competitive C teams can make a participation conference that the winner of gets to get pounded by a downstate team in the playoffs!!

And if you're taking shots at Westwood or any other area district...what was the score last week and last year in football against Negaunee...districts in basketball the past 3 out of 4 years vs both Negaunee and Ishpeming...I would say things are on the rise and changing there. Don't tell me about "education" - you are talking sports....Get your ice skates out...

Not taking shots would love to see them go all the way, Let's talk sports combine ISH. and WES. school pop. 624, what D4, with what these two teams have put on the field this year no doubt would clean up in the GNC, but down state no sure. And you take one of the great rivalries away. As Neon Deion 21 has said do we want a conference that just beats each other up and sit at home and watch come tournament time?? I don't, Let's just ride it out can't see the future, we are good for a while, just watch what going on like the title of this post ''Super U.P. conf. GNC/westpac Merger'' notice whose first it's not WestPac/gnc Merger
yoopernib2
Yooper Freak

Postby trautio » Sun Oct 21, 2018 9:45 am

Sounds good. Respectful reply. 600 something students if they combined (football) D4, they would make noise. The GNC - they would compete easily. I even think downstate too. Compete, not dominate, but would for sure compete.
trautio
UP Fan

Postby yoopernib2 » Sun Oct 21, 2018 10:07 am

trautio wrote:Sounds good. Respectful reply. 600 something students if they combined (football) D4, they would make noise. The GNC - they would compete easily. I even think downstate too. Compete, not dominate, but would for sure compete.

Think Westwood has a good chance against Calumet but then will run into TCSF been their, game will be played at what I call their ''PALACE'' Thirlby Field. That one will be tough, Ishpeming is 1-4 against them, our only win at the dome in MQT. And this talk about a merger do we really want the state to tell US we have to combine??? not me. If Lake Linden-Hubbell can make it so can we. Getting close for YOOPERS to unite against the TROLLS!!!!!
yoopernib2
Yooper Freak

Postby Copperking_6 » Sun Oct 21, 2018 12:27 pm

trautio wrote:Sounds good. Respectful reply. 600 something students if they combined (football) D4, they would make noise. The GNC - they would compete easily. I even think downstate too. Compete, not dominate, but would for sure compete.

I’m not sure why you are using the username that you are. Pretending to be someone that you are not. So It would be appreciated if you stopped posting under that name when that isn’t you.
Copperking_6
New to Board

Postby GNCrocks » Mon Oct 22, 2018 9:48 am

Early Pro/Con: GNC/WP Schools

Pros:
Both - Scheduling. Communities, the School and more important the students DESERVE 9 games.
Both - Rivalries can re-new/stay with leaving 1 week open for people; Con to this is with an odd number of teams it all can't be the same week so Menominee most likely will get priority for Week 1.
GNC Schools: Travel Cost, while the GNC Schools are by far the most traveled in the entire state. Going 3 hours is better than 5-9.
West Pac: Schools: Playoff Points; Houghton, Hancock, Calumet, Negaunee will benefit tremendously in playoff points and SOS points. 5-4 almost guarantees these 4 schools a playoff bid.
West Pac: SOS, not only does the strength of schedule benifit the 4 West Pac schools, playing much better compiton will force struggeling programs to get better and the compition will make them 500x more playoff ready than thier current weak format.
Both: Apply this to other sports and you solve a lot of OTHER scheduling headaches. Home and Home in basketball in this conf would fill 16 of your 20 games!
GNC Schools: While it looks like a step down, and it is in some ways, to play UP schools again will also bring back a UP Power type fan base for all come playoff time. Also these kids know each other from other sports.

Cons:
Both - Scheduling to some degree. 9 teams = 8 games, but that leaves a roating OPEN game. See my scheduling thoughts below.

GNC Schools: Playoff points. Example: Currently Escanaba has 5 Class A teams, 3 B's and 1'C on the schedule. IF they would find/keep a Class A team for their 1 open week it would change to 2 A's 4 B's and 4 C's. As the article suggested the MHSAA could assist. Could they make an exception for the GNC schools to get a multiplier?
Cons: West Pac Schools are asking to step up the competition level. Overall, as mentioned above its more of a Pro than a Con. I guess its only a Con for the weak.

* While not perfect, only really took in Menominee's need for Marinette for week 1. A schedule could look like this...
GNCrocks
All UP

Postby upfootball » Mon Oct 22, 2018 8:03 pm

If Ishpeming and Westwood combined that would be a pretty darn good football program. I'd say most likely D5 not D4. Kingsford and Iron Mountain is another one that would combine if the State indeed starting forcing things to save money. That would be a pretty good D4 football program. Hancock, Houghton, Lake Linden. Lots of possibilities.

Years down the road but I agree. Things are headed that way economically with the way the entire State has been dropping in enrollment over the last decade. The savings in administration and building costs would be quite significant.
upfootball
Founder

Postby HSFB Fan » Tue Oct 23, 2018 7:48 am

What we are doing isn't working....
If we go to this (hats off to the Gladstone AD for putting his name on it) and it doesn't work, we haven't lost anything.

It will fill the stands with some good football games.
GNC Parents will drive to Milwaukee to see their son play, but the non-parent fan probably won't.
...They would drive to Marquette county! They would drive to Calumet!
Fill the stands!!
HSFB Fan
UP Football Guru

Postby pondrocket14 » Tue Oct 23, 2018 11:04 am

Would be great for GNC to fill their schedules, not sure about everybody else. A lower half Westpac team wouldnt be helped much by playing schools twice their size. Would require nimble scheduling with broadminded AD’s and coaches to align the most competive teams each year. Seems like a tall task.
pondrocket14
Yooper Freak

Postby LukeFSM » Tue Oct 23, 2018 11:17 am

We are having Marquette AD Alex Tiseo on at just after 4pm today to talk about this proposal on Fox Sports Marquette if you all are interested
LukeFSM
UP Fan

Next

Return to Upper Peninsula Board