I'm just blue-skying here, so GNC/West-PAC merger...

General board to discuss Upper Peninsula football.

Moderator: Moderator Group

I'm just blue-skying here, so GNC/West-PAC merger...

Postby yooperguy1984 » Sat Sep 22, 2018 7:22 am

Let's say the GNC can't stand not having enough games, a number of West-PAC schools clearly can't hack 11-man football, and both sides agree to a merger. Good idea? Bad idea? In the end, I feel guaranteed games are more important than panhandling for games.
yooperguy1984
UP Fan
 
Posts: 18
Joined: Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:41 am

Re: I'm just blue-skying here, so GNC/West-PAC merger...

Postby yoopernib2 » Sat Sep 22, 2018 8:18 am

yooperguy1984 wrote:Let's say the GNC can't stand not having enough games, a number of West-PAC schools clearly can't hack 11-man football, and both sides agree to a merger. Good idea? Bad idea? In the end, I feel guaranteed games are more important than panhandling for games.

I think eventually something like this will happen,but when is the question. And how do you schedule, when you would have anywhere from D3 TO D8 teams?? Ishpeming has a great D8 team this year so do they go against Marquette?? Might be a good game this year but I've watched a few of our (IHS) JV games and it's not pretty. Ishpeming played Marquette for years, I was in high school in the eighties I remember they (MQT) decided they didn't want to play Ishpeming anymore they wanted to play bigger teams for playoff points. So how do you schedule fairly for all divisions??
User avatar
yoopernib2
Yooper Freak
 
Posts: 61
Joined: Sat Sep 01, 2018 1:57 pm

Re: I'm just blue-skying here, so GNC/West-PAC merger...

Postby yooperguy1984 » Sat Sep 22, 2018 9:50 am

yoopernib2 wrote:
yooperguy1984 wrote:Let's say the GNC can't stand not having enough games, a number of West-PAC schools clearly can't hack 11-man football, and both sides agree to a merger. Good idea? Bad idea? In the end, I feel guaranteed games are more important than panhandling for games.

I think eventually something like this will happen,but when is the question. And how do you schedule, when you would have anywhere from D3 TO D8 teams?? Ishpeming has a great D8 team this year so do they go against Marquette?? Might be a good game this year but I've watched a few of our (IHS) JV games and it's not pretty. Ishpeming played Marquette for years, I was in high school in the eighties I remember they (MQT) decided they didn't want to play Ishpeming anymore they wanted to play bigger teams for playoff points. So how do you schedule fairly for all divisions??

I'd point to Marquette's enrollment numbers and suggest that school size might not matter within the next 5 years. Roughly 150 students gone over the last couple of years is quite startling. Not sure if that trend continues, but still...
yooperguy1984
UP Fan
 
Posts: 18
Joined: Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:41 am

Re: I'm just blue-skying here, so GNC/West-PAC merger...

Postby yoopernib2 » Sat Sep 22, 2018 7:03 pm

yooperguy1984 wrote:
yoopernib2 wrote:
yooperguy1984 wrote:Let's say the GNC can't stand not having enough games, a number of West-PAC schools clearly can't hack 11-man football, and both sides agree to a merger. Good idea? Bad idea? In the end, I feel guaranteed games are more important than panhandling for games.

I think eventually something like this will happen,but when is the question. And how do you schedule, when you would have anywhere from D3 TO D8 teams?? Ishpeming has a great D8 team this year so do they go against Marquette?? Might be a good game this year but I've watched a few of our (IHS) JV games and it's not pretty. Ishpeming played Marquette for years, I was in high school in the eighties I remember they (MQT) decided they didn't want to play Ishpeming anymore they wanted to play bigger teams for playoff points. So how do you schedule fairly for all divisions??

I'd point to Marquette's enrollment numbers and suggest that school size might not matter within the next 5 years. Roughly 150 students gone over the last couple of years is quite startling. Not sure if that trend continues, but still...

Ya but if Ishpeming lost 150 it would be down to 83.
User avatar
yoopernib2
Yooper Freak
 
Posts: 61
Joined: Sat Sep 01, 2018 1:57 pm

Re: I'm just blue-skying here, so GNC/West-PAC merger...

Postby yooperguy1984 » Sun Sep 23, 2018 5:56 am

But Ishpeming is NOT Marquette, so...
yooperguy1984
UP Fan
 
Posts: 18
Joined: Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:41 am

Re: I'm just blue-skying here, so GNC/West-PAC merger...

Postby yoopernib2 » Sun Sep 23, 2018 8:59 am

yooperguy1984 wrote:But Ishpeming is NOT Marquette, so...

Just saying Ishpeming not growing. Hopefully stay small 11 man in D8.
User avatar
yoopernib2
Yooper Freak
 
Posts: 61
Joined: Sat Sep 01, 2018 1:57 pm


Return to Upper Peninsula Board

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests