2018 UP practice numbers

General board to discuss Upper Peninsula football.

Moderator: Moderator Group

Re: 2018 UP practice numbers

Postby upfootball » Mon Aug 13, 2018 4:27 pm

Cant move juniors down in Michigan like you can in Wisconsin.

I also do not believe Marquette football is poorly coached. They have had a good staff for a while IMO.

This is a head scratcher.
User avatar
upfootball
Founder
 
Posts: 10021
Joined: Mon Jul 15, 2002 12:40 pm

Re: 2018 UP practice numbers

Postby RunAndShoot » Tue Aug 14, 2018 10:49 am

2018 CFFP Varsity Football (9-12) has (15) players out....
RunAndShoot
UP Football Guru
 
Posts: 178
Joined: Wed Aug 04, 2010 6:53 pm

Re: 2018 UP practice numbers

Postby GNCrocks » Tue Aug 14, 2018 11:32 am

ajgale1975 wrote:GNC,

Though I agree there are some, that blanket statement is just not true. Marquette has some great coaches that I’m proud to call friends.

I don’t have the answer to the JV problem. But I know that wasn’t the answer. I don’t think the staff had much say as I think the decision was made by Alex and the Superintendant, even though the board agree no players would be moved up after they moved a few sophomores, my son included, up to varsity in 2016. Regardless of the situation, my son is a senior and I’m glad to be done with the politics for awhile, least for a few years lol.

That being said, Marquette is going to be very good this year. I look forward to the season.


Re: 2018 UP practice numbers
Postby upfootball » Mon Aug 13, 2018 4:27 pm

Cant move juniors down in Michigan like you can in Wisconsin.

I also do not believe Marquette football is poorly coached. They have had a good staff for a while IMO.

This is a head scratcher.


If my comments were DIRECTLY at the Football coaching staff, they were not meant to be; I agree there are some good folks there. However, they have a "culture" problem still hanging around and I think that is still keeping this ATHLETIC PROGRAM as a whole from moving in the direction it should or that Alex wants it too.

Apologies on the blanket statement.
GNCrocks
All UP
 
Posts: 1423
Joined: Thu Sep 06, 2007 2:25 pm
Location: Da U.P.

Re: 2018 UP practice numbers

Postby LukeFSM » Tue Aug 14, 2018 1:03 pm

Hi All,

Regarding Marquette's JV situation, MSHS AD Alex Tiseo is joining The Sports Drive today around 4:05, where we will touch on this.

You can listen here: http://foxsportsmarquette.com/stream

It will also be up at foxsportsmarquette.com after the show airs
LukeFSM
UP Fan
 
Posts: 11
Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2018 12:57 pm

Re: 2018 UP practice numbers

Postby GNCrocks » Tue Aug 14, 2018 2:27 pm

Heard your question on Radio...

Gogebic 4 school Quad-Op is fielding 26 Varsity.
GNCrocks
All UP
 
Posts: 1423
Joined: Thu Sep 06, 2007 2:25 pm
Location: Da U.P.

Re: 2018 UP practice numbers

Postby GNCrocks » Tue Aug 14, 2018 2:38 pm

haulpack wrote:
patriot 54 wrote:Manistique 14 varsity
17 junior varsity

No size or speed at all. Again, lower numbers since 2015. If the numbers keep going down and losses mounting the last few seasons, it should be apparent that the next move should be to eight man football. Better yet, play as an independent.

Is a class C school allowed to play in Eight man football,dont believe so. :|


Nor should 8 man programs fielding more than 16/18 Players. :|
GNCrocks
All UP
 
Posts: 1423
Joined: Thu Sep 06, 2007 2:25 pm
Location: Da U.P.

Re: 2018 UP practice numbers

Postby Hueby » Tue Aug 14, 2018 11:17 pm

LukeFSM wrote:Hi All,

Regarding Marquette's JV situation, MSHS AD Alex Tiseo is joining The Sports Drive today around 4:05, where we will touch on this.

You can listen here: http://foxsportsmarquette.com/stream

It will also be up at foxsportsmarquette.com after the show airs


Just got done listening to one of your recorded shows. I don’t think I caught the right show though. In the show I listened to I fast forwarded from the NFL & Golfing to Coach Olson, Coach Jacobson and Coach L’Huillier interviews. Enjoyed it very much!

We don’t have this kind of high school football enthusiasm around here. Everything is “hush hush” and also the local newspaper has very little local sports coverage. Nothing like they used to.

Per the show I listened to, that has to be a big loss for Gwinn losing that lineman to Ishpeming. But you can feel the excitement of the potential matchups Ishpeming and Negaunee have. Couldn’t agree more about the new Calumet/ Negaunee rivalry that has emerged.

Will keep my eye open for the other show involving the AD Alex Tiseo.
Hueby
All UP
 
Posts: 2732
Joined: Fri Dec 14, 2007 4:28 pm
Location: Green Bay, WI

Re: 2018 UP practice numbers

Postby Hueby » Wed Aug 15, 2018 5:16 am

GNCrocks wrote:
haulpack wrote:
patriot 54 wrote:Manistique 14 varsity
17 junior varsity

No size or speed at all. Again, lower numbers since 2015. If the numbers keep going down and losses mounting the last few seasons, it should be apparent that the next move should be to eight man football. Better yet, play as an independent.

Is a class C school allowed to play in Eight man football,dont believe so. :|


Nor should 8 man programs fielding more than 16/18 Players. :|


Believe the school's enrollment must be 200 or less. Yes, it's a bummer what has quietly been going on with football as well as the athletic program at Manistique.
Hueby
All UP
 
Posts: 2732
Joined: Fri Dec 14, 2007 4:28 pm
Location: Green Bay, WI

Re: 2018 UP practice numbers

Postby Zarek » Wed Aug 15, 2018 7:33 am

If anyone did not get to hear the interview with the Marquette director here is a link to that days show.

They start talking about the Marquette football situation at 1:09:20

http://yoopertube.net/audioarchive/play ... FXDHD2.MP3

Looks like the high numbers for the freshmen squad (40) factored in to the decision to bring the JVs to the varsity.
Zarek
UP Football Guru
 
Posts: 124
Joined: Sun Aug 17, 2014 6:19 pm

Re: 2018 UP practice numbers

Postby Hambone » Wed Aug 15, 2018 8:28 am

"We don't have this kind of high school football enthusiasm around here. Everything is 'hush hush' and also the local newspaper has very little local sports coverage. Nothing like they used to."

This may be the most pathetic excuse given by a football coach for poor participation numbers. It's not the local newspaper's job to create a buzz about the football program, it's the head coach's job. I can't think of a single kid who picks up the newspaper every day or reads the online version of it. Every successful coach I know has a strong social media presence and they are active in the school year around.
User avatar
Hambone
Moderator
 
Posts: 3709
Joined: Mon Jul 22, 2002 2:51 pm

Re: 2018 UP practice numbers

Postby upfootball » Wed Aug 15, 2018 8:34 am

Zarek wrote:Looks like the high numbers for the freshmen squad (40) factored in to the decision to bring the JVs to the varsity.

This makes zero sense to me. If you have 40 kids out for Frosh and 12 out for the JV team (10) healthy. Basic math tells you 50 kids can make up two teams and more kids can develop..... which is what Frosh & JV football is for!!

I'm at a loss of words for the thought process out there. This is not how you build a program. Practice can only take you so far. You need to get on the field and play in games to truly develop. Bringing the best Frosh up to the JV level to play is not a big deal. There are barely any Frosh teams in the UP. You think the Frosh at those other schools just don't play? Experience was talked about. Safety was talked about. All Frosh are inexperienced at the HS level. Them "not being ready" to get moved up to JV is ridiculous. How about the JV kids getting moved to varsity to get the awesome experience of maybe making the second string? Is that safer? It's not. The AD says he worked with the coaching staff to come up with this decision. That is the right move but the ultimate move of cancelling the JV season when you have 50 underclassmen is not the right move. Its the wrong move.
User avatar
upfootball
Founder
 
Posts: 10021
Joined: Mon Jul 15, 2002 12:40 pm

Re: 2018 UP practice numbers

Postby LukeFSM » Wed Aug 15, 2018 9:37 am

I've always found this situation fascinating as I've seen it before. Marquette expects this Freshman class to be one of the best football classes to roll through in a long time. So is the right move to break that class up where they gain experience and chemistry and learning how to win together to help out the sophomore class that has limited interest and potentially have two mediocre teams? Or do you allow that freshman class to stay together and have one very good team and let that class grow together?

I have no idea what the right answer is there. But I personally agree with Alex when he mentioned there was no "right move"
LukeFSM
UP Fan
 
Posts: 11
Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2018 12:57 pm

Re: 2018 UP practice numbers

Postby Hueby » Wed Aug 15, 2018 9:50 am

Hambone wrote:"We don't have this kind of high school football enthusiasm around here. Everything is 'hush hush' and also the local newspaper has very little local sports coverage. Nothing like they used to."

This may be the most pathetic excuse given by a football coach for poor participation numbers. It's not the local newspaper's job to create a buzz about the football program, it's the head coach's job. I can't think of a single kid who picks up the newspaper every day or reads the online version of it. Every successful coach I know has a strong social media presence and they are active in the school year around.


What coach said that? (Sorry that went over my head : ) )

Our school has been losing numerous numbers over recent years. It’s not what it used to be. These days we have numerous JV players on the sidelines to cover this issue up. I don’t like seeing this but that’s just my opinion.

Anyways the newspaper helps many in the community to read about the games. It has created much discussion and interest in the past.

My post was meant to compliment the media and coaches up there for promoting football.
Last edited by Hueby on Wed Aug 15, 2018 7:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Hueby
All UP
 
Posts: 2732
Joined: Fri Dec 14, 2007 4:28 pm
Location: Green Bay, WI

Re: 2018 UP practice numbers

Postby upfootball » Wed Aug 15, 2018 10:53 am

LukeFSM wrote:I've always found this situation fascinating as I've seen it before. Marquette expects this Freshman class to be one of the best football classes to roll through in a long time. So is the right move to break that class up where they gain experience and chemistry and learning how to win together to help out the sophomore class that has limited interest and potentially have two mediocre teams? Or do you allow that freshman class to stay together and have one very good team and let that class grow together?

I have no idea what the right answer is there. But I personally agree with Alex when he mentioned there was no "right move"

First of all I thought this was about safety for players who were not ready? Was that a lie?

If this does have the potential to be a great Frosh class for Marquette you think they would want to get as many kids on the field during an actual game as possible. This certainly isn't the way to get that done. Its just a way to win meaningless Frosh games.

The mentality that winning at the underclassmen level means anything what-so-ever is crazy. Wins and losses are not nearly as important as development. An underclassmen coaches job is to get as many kids on the field playing as you can. If your playing all out to win and not develop some of the late bloomers... you're over your head. You know how a great coach can truly judge what he has in a player? He watches his performance in games that player lost. Anyone can be great when things are going good, the true measurement of an athlete is how they do when facing a challenge. You become the best by playing the best. If you want to give all the kids a big head quit the GNC and play a schedule like the Sault and win all the games you can. See how that works for you.

Last year Menominee won their District in football. You know what those seniors JV record was? 0-8. Think about that.

Winning at the underclassmen level is completely overrated and those who concentrate on it are doomed. The whole focus of the program should be to get maximum value out of the kids by the time they are on the varsity. Nobody remembers who went 9-0 in Frosh football in 1981. They will however, remember great varsity teams.
User avatar
upfootball
Founder
 
Posts: 10021
Joined: Mon Jul 15, 2002 12:40 pm

Re: 2018 UP practice numbers

Postby GNCrocks » Wed Aug 15, 2018 2:13 pm

Marquette had only 12 players out for JV, but only 9 were healthy enough to practice/play. What do you do? Move up good Frosh and give 2 teams a ****** season or move the 12 up to varsity and they can be really seasoned Seniors in 2 years.
I would not have wanted this decision.
GNCrocks
All UP
 
Posts: 1423
Joined: Thu Sep 06, 2007 2:25 pm
Location: Da U.P.

Re: 2018 UP practice numbers

Postby ajgale1975 » Wed Aug 15, 2018 5:46 pm

n/a
Last edited by ajgale1975 on Thu Aug 23, 2018 7:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ajgale1975
UP Fan
 
Posts: 12
Joined: Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:41 am

Re: 2018 UP practice numbers

Postby Eagle Backer » Thu Aug 16, 2018 8:06 pm

haulpack wrote:
patriot 54 wrote:Manistique 14 varsity
17 junior varsity

No size or speed at all. Again, lower numbers since 2015. If the numbers keep going down and losses mounting the last few seasons, it should be apparent that the next move should be to eight man football. Better yet, play as an independent.

Is a class C school allowed to play in Eight man football,dont believe so. :|


They could play 8 man but would NOT be allowed in the playoffs
"The spirit, the will to win, and the will to excel are the things that endure. These qualities are so much more important than the events that occur." Vince Lombardi
User avatar
Eagle Backer
All UP
 
Posts: 1144
Joined: Sun Aug 19, 2007 8:03 pm
Location: Engadine

Re: 2018 UP practice numbers

Postby RunAndShoot » Fri Aug 17, 2018 11:13 am

Newberry Varsity - (17)

St. Ignace (9-12) Varsity - (31)

Carney (9-12) Varsity - (11)

Pickford (9-12) Varsity - (26)

West Iron County Varsity - (24)

Munising Varsity - (21)

Lake Linden Varsity - (24)

Bark River-Harris Varsity - (16)

Iron Mountain Varsity - (39)

L'Anse Varsity - (29)

Engadine Varsity - (14)

Rudyard (9-12) Varsity - (22)

Cedarville Varsity - (12)

Rapid River Varsity - (24)
RunAndShoot
UP Football Guru
 
Posts: 178
Joined: Wed Aug 04, 2010 6:53 pm

Re: 2018 UP practice numbers

Postby RunAndShoot » Fri Aug 17, 2018 12:08 pm

Updated U.P. Football Training Camp Numbers

August 17th, 2018

Escanaba Varsity (47)
Menominee Varsity (46)
Marquette Varsity (39)
Iron Mountain Varsity - (39)
Negaunee Varsity (33)
Calumet Varsity (31)
St. Ignace (9-12) Varsity - (31)
Sault St. Marie Varsity - (30)
L'Anse Varsity - (29)
Ishpeming Varsity (26)
Gogebic Varsity (26)
Pickford (9-12) Varsity - (26)
West Iron County Varsity - (24)
Gwinn Varsity (24)
Lake Linden Varsity - (24)
Rapid River Varsity - (24)
Rudyard (9-12) Varsity - (22)
Munising Varsity - (21)
Westwood Varsity (20)
Kingsford Varsity - (20)
Superior Central (9-12) Varsity (17)
Newberry Varsity - (17)
Stephenson Varsity (16)
Bark River-Harris Varsity - (16)
Crystal Falls-Forest Park (9-12) Varsity (15)
Manistique Varsity (14)
Engadine (9-12) Varsity - (14)
Cedarville (9-12) Varsity - (12)
Carney (9-12) Varsity - (11)
Gladstone Varsity - (??)
North Central Varsity - (??)
North Dickinson (9-12) Varsity - (??)
Ontonagon Varsity - (??)
Norway Varsity - (??)
Brimley (9-12) Varsity - (??)
RunAndShoot
UP Football Guru
 
Posts: 178
Joined: Wed Aug 04, 2010 6:53 pm

Re: 2018 UP practice numbers

Postby RunAndShoot » Fri Aug 17, 2018 2:55 pm

Does anybody know if Kingsford's training camp number of (20) players is correct???? That number came from MaxPreps.com.... Anybody know what Hancock's numbers are????
RunAndShoot
UP Football Guru
 
Posts: 178
Joined: Wed Aug 04, 2010 6:53 pm

Re: 2018 UP practice numbers

Postby StLouFlivver58 » Fri Aug 17, 2018 8:06 pm

Kingsford had a little over 30 for varsity at Meet the Flivvers last night. 17-18 on JV and roughly 30 for freshmen.
User avatar
StLouFlivver58
Yooper Freak
 
Posts: 67
Joined: Tue Sep 03, 2002 5:21 pm
Location: Kingsford, MI

Re: 2018 UP practice numbers

Postby Hueby » Sun Aug 19, 2018 9:11 am

Hueby wrote:
Hambone wrote:"We don't have this kind of high school football enthusiasm around here. Everything is 'hush hush' and also the local newspaper has very little local sports coverage. Nothing like they used to."

This may be the most pathetic excuse given by a football coach for poor participation numbers. It's not the local newspaper's job to create a buzz about the football program, it's the head coach's job. I can't think of a single kid who picks up the newspaper every day or reads the online version of it. Every successful coach I know has a strong social media presence and they are active in the school year around.


What coach said that? (Sorry that went over my head : ) )

Our school has been losing numerous numbers over recent years. It’s not what it used to be. These days we have numerous JV players on the sidelines to cover this issue up. I don’t like seeing this but that’s just my opinion.

Anyways the newspaper helps many in the community to read about the games. It has created much discussion and interest in the past.

My post was meant to compliment the media and coaches up there for promoting football.



Update: Thank you Scott Venci and the Green Bay Press Gazette!!! This morning they were back printing little post game articles about Thursday night's games. They had stopped doing this last year. I had also enjoyed the short articles involving the state colleges which they cut out last year...hopefully they will be printed again.

Where I work (as in numerous work places throughout Green Bay) the people come from all over who have kids, friends and family members at area high schools representing the different conferences. As the Press Gazette jacked up their rates, a handful of people I worked with called to cancel the paper. One other complaint they had was dropping a lot of the high school sports coverage.

In our case, I was told by the Press Gazette it was due to outsourcing and cut off deadlines.

But even if those writeups are a a day later than normal- no problem! It's still informative and helps us create discussion.

And there's no conference talk like this on Wissports by local fans. (Which I can't get on by the way. With the new format when I would log on, shortly I'd win an Amazon prize then get knocked off the site. So after 30+ tries in the past I gave up).

The media coverage was not meant to equate that to the dropping participation numbers. But touch on the overall athmosphere. My apologies to anyone if my post came across that way.

Again- really enjoyed the Coach Olson (Ishpeming) Coach Jacobson (Negaunee) and Coach L'Huillier (Marquette) interviews! Keep doing the great job with those kids up there!
Hueby
All UP
 
Posts: 2732
Joined: Fri Dec 14, 2007 4:28 pm
Location: Green Bay, WI

Re: 2018 UP practice numbers

Postby RunAndShoot » Tue Aug 21, 2018 11:24 am

North Dickinson has (15) Varsity (9-12)

Bark River-Harris has (60) for Varsity & JV
RunAndShoot
UP Football Guru
 
Posts: 178
Joined: Wed Aug 04, 2010 6:53 pm

Previous

Return to Upper Peninsula Board

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests