End of Old Rivalries, Beginning of New?

General board to discuss Upper Peninsula football.

Moderator: Moderator Group

End of Old Rivalries, Beginning of New?

Postby DLintheTrenches » Mon Dec 11, 2017 8:35 am

With the major shake-up of the UP football landscape, the historic Negaunee-MQT and IM-Kingsford rivalries come to an end. My question to you is: with the new mega-WestPAC, will this give way to new traditions and rivalries? Iron Mountain and Calumet used to have excellent postseason matches, could that history give way to a new WestPAC rivalry for years to come? Negaunee-Houghton could be another. I do feel bad for the GNC schools left in the lurch, and as a Mountaineer, it kills me to see the IM-K game end. I don't think these new rivalries will, or should, replace the old, but I am looking to find a positive.
DLintheTrenches
UP Fan

Re: End of Old Rivalries, Beginning of New?

Postby upfootball » Mon Dec 11, 2017 9:21 am

You simply cannot replace 100 year old cross-town rivalries where everyone knows each other. It's apples and oranges. You will never see 3,000 people at a Calumet-Iron Mountain game. Plus I don't see that game lasting by the direction Iron Mountain is headed. Might be a safety issue in the near future.
upfootball
Founder

Postby Hambone » Mon Dec 11, 2017 9:38 am

I agree with upfootball, there is nothing attractive about the matchups created by this merger. Teams that are traditionally good will get nice crowds for home games, but people aren't going to travel to some of these places. The old MPC teams will have nice crowds when they get together. I can't foresee a Lake Linden/Manistique scenario ever turning into a rivalry.
Hambone

Postby DLintheTrenches » Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:29 am

upfootball wrote:You simply cannot replace 100 year old cross-town rivalries where everyone knows each other. It's apples and oranges. You will never see 3,000 people at a Calumet-Iron Mountain game. Plus I don't see that game lasting by the direction Iron Mountain is headed. Might be a safety issue in the near future.

I agree upfootball. I didn't mean to imply they could take the place of IM-K or Neg-MQT. I was more asking if anyone thought that with the new conference if a new rivalry might form, or if it will just be a regular season so to speak. You'll always have the little windows of good competition between the best teams of those years, but will any of these teams form a lasting "hate" that brings the best out no matter the records? I was looking for a positive there, but it sounds as if the old school rivalry aspect is falling by the wayside. Truly a shame.
DLintheTrenches
UP Fan

Postby Hueby » Mon Dec 11, 2017 4:38 pm

Yes won’t be like the old- but can see Calumet/Negaunee, West Iron/Iron Mountain...Can see Hancock/Negaunee as long as Coach Holmstrom is up there and they keep the participation up.
Hueby
All UP

Postby Hueby » Mon Dec 11, 2017 5:09 pm

A little carry over- Girls Basketball- Think Houghton/ Negaunee will heat up. Also in Boys Basketball, can see Kingsford’s student section chanting “Let’s play foot-ball” followed by 5 claps.
Hueby
All UP

Return to Upper Peninsula Board