U.P. Power is dead

General board to discuss Upper Peninsula football.

Moderator: Moderator Group

Re: U.P. Power is dead

Postby midpenben » Fri Dec 01, 2017 11:53 am

Negaunee has no interest in playing Marquette. That's the reason for the useless crossover games.

Why would this statement ever be made? I understand the frustration from the GNC schools regarding the MPC/West PAC merger, but to say schools aren't interested in playing others without any facts behind the statement is absurd. Living in Marquette County, I have enjoyed playing/watching/following quality high school football my entire life. When you look at the soon to be former MPC, Negaunee is the only school to schedule two GNC schools (Gladstone and Marquette) in their regular season for decades. They also scrimmage Escanaba. . . to me this is not cowardly. Ironically, their record over the last twenty years against Gladstone and Marquette is 15-5 and 11-9, respectively.

I can't imagine anyone saying Negaunee, Ishpeming or Iron Mountain don't have interest in playing their rivals. In a perfect scheduling world, Negaunee could have still joined the WestPAC and played Marquette to keep the rivalry around, but it unfortunately didn't happen. The reason is definitely not that they have no interest in playing them. Why wouldn't they? Marquette is not a threat in football to Negaunee. As a matter of fact, Negaunee christened Marquette's new turf last year with a 32-0 win. As far as playing Kingsford in football, why would Negaunee want to add a third GNC school in their schedule? Until the MHSAA changes their format, allowing teams to make the playoffs with less than six wins, NEW games between teams like Negaunee and Kingsford will never happen. I think what you're hoping for is a school like Negaunee, who has the tenth largest football enrollment in the UP, schedule the top nine schools. If that was the case, then they would lose Ishpeming as a rivalry game. No matter what happens, someone will be upset.

The other comment you made in regards to Kingsford's AD should stop scheduling Negaunee in basketball because Kingsford can't beat them . . . well, it happened this year.

I think you have ran a quality site over the past several years and were diplomatic in the process. Now, because you don't agree with something, you're considering dropping the site . . . that's like a kid who has taken his ball and goes home, because he doesn't like what's happening.
midpenben
Yooper Freak

Postby Avalanche » Fri Dec 01, 2017 12:13 pm

Could Hurley take Florence's place in the MONLPC small next year? They used to be in the NLC for football with many of those schools.
"Don't sell yourself short Judge, you're a tremendous slouch."
Avalanche
Yooper Freak

Postby HSFB Fan » Fri Dec 01, 2017 12:33 pm

Negaunee could play up (Join the GNC..they already play 2 teams and regularly beat them...) or play down (Joint the WESTPAC).
They made the choice to play down.

Come time for the playoffs, I believe Negaunee would fair much better at 6-3 in the GNC than 9-0 in the WESTPAC.

Also..the "You can only play WESTPAC teams" is stupid. No reason for it.
HSFB Fan
UP Football Guru

Postby amped0808 » Fri Dec 01, 2017 12:37 pm

Avalanche wrote:Could Hurley take Florence's place in the MONLPC small next year? They used to be in the NLC for football with many of those schools.

Good question but I have to think they are going to try to get into the Lakeland again before giving the MONLPC a shot.

Did some research on where Pines could go and the Marawood is generally a bit closer than the CWC Large.

Auburndale: 128 miles
Stratford 116 miles
Edgar 102 miles
Marathon 95.7 miles
Rib Lake/Prentice 85.9 miles
Tomahawk 49.6 miles

Weyauwega-Fremont 155 miles
Shiocton 132 miles
Manawa 122 miles
Pacelli Catholic 117 miles
Bonduel 116 miles
Iola-Scandinavia 115 miles
Amherst 115 miles
Wittenberg-Birnamwood 86.5 miles
2013 Wissports HOF Inductee
Wissports Pick 'Em coordinator
Once a Warrior always a Warrior
Twitter:https://twitter.com/Captain_Joe08
amped0808
All UP

Postby upfootball » Fri Dec 01, 2017 2:18 pm

midpenben wrote:
Negaunee has no interest in playing Marquette. That's the reason for the useless crossover games.

Why would this statement ever be made? I understand the frustration from the GNC schools regarding the MPC/West PAC merger, but to say schools aren't interested in playing others without any facts behind the statement is absurd. Living in Marquette County, I have enjoyed playing/watching/following quality high school football my entire life. When you look at the soon to be former MPC, Negaunee is the only school to schedule two GNC schools (Gladstone and Marquette) in their regular season for decades. They also scrimmage Escanaba. . . to me this is not cowardly. Ironically, their record over the last twenty years against Gladstone and Marquette is 15-5 and 11-9, respectively.

I can't imagine anyone saying Negaunee, Ishpeming or Iron Mountain don't have interest in playing their rivals. In a perfect scheduling world, Negaunee could have still joined the WestPAC and played Marquette to keep the rivalry around, but it unfortunately didn't happen. The reason is definitely not that they have no interest in playing them. Why wouldn't they? Marquette is not a threat in football to Negaunee. As a matter of fact, Negaunee christened Marquette's new turf last year with a 32-0 win. As far as playing Kingsford in football, why would Negaunee want to add a third GNC school in their schedule? Until the MHSAA changes their format, allowing teams to make the playoffs with less than six wins, NEW games between teams like Negaunee and Kingsford will never happen. I think what you're hoping for is a school like Negaunee, who has the tenth largest football enrollment in the UP, schedule the top nine schools. If that was the case, then they would lose Ishpeming as a rivalry game. No matter what happens, someone will be upset.

The other comment you made in regards to Kingsford's AD should stop scheduling Negaunee in basketball because Kingsford can't beat them . . . well, it happened this year.

I think you have ran a quality site over the past several years and were diplomatic in the process. Now, because you don't agree with something, you're considering dropping the site . . . that's like a kid who has taken his ball and goes home, because he doesn't like what's happening.

My statement is 100% true. More to come this offseason. There will be absolutely little doubt after all is published. We have moved into an all out ducking with the scheduling. No law against it, but that doesn't mean I will let it go unspoken of. All the facts will be laid out. All the internal letters. Everything. The beauty of this site... I don't get paid. I don't have to suck up to anyone. I can flat out tell you the truth no matter whose feelings it hurts.
upfootball
Founder

Postby midpenben » Fri Dec 01, 2017 2:58 pm

So far for 2018...GNC

Escanaba currently (11.20.17) is showing 2 open weeks...
- Week 5 (Soo leaving GNC)....I am not going to name the possible team they are discussing yet, but it is a large class A school. I do know that Ashland WI was asked and said No; DC Everest was reached out to but unsure what happened.
- Week 8, not sure why this is showing as open, unless Octono is breaking their 2 year agreement. Don't be surprised if you see Cadillac or TCC here for the foreseeable future.

Gladstone is showing 3 Open weeks right now. (weeks 2, 5, & 9)...YIKES

Menominee is showing Week 7 open....

Kingsford is showing no weeks open as of yet, I hope they have filled their schedule, they did not deserve an 8 week season last year.

Marquette is showing week 1 open, but they just filled it with Maple City Glen Lake. (who is also looking for a game week 3...Do they dare play 2 U.P. schools).

Why would any school from the MPC have an interest in joining the GNC with this type of problem? The ADs from the WestPAC and the MPC were proactive . . . bottom line. There won't be any schools with "OPEN" dates. Good for them.

As far as ducking teams, Marquette should have picked up DeWitt a few years ago when they were contacted. Instead of shying away from them, they'll play Division 6 Maple City Glen Lake. The enrollment difference Marquette~1044, Maple City Glen Lake~376.
midpenben
Yooper Freak

Postby Yooper at Heart » Fri Dec 01, 2017 3:03 pm

upfootball wrote:
midpenben wrote:

My statement is 100% true. More to come this offseason. There will be absolutely little doubt after all is published. We have moved into an all out ducking with the scheduling. No law against it, but that doesn't mean I will let it go unspoken of. All the facts will be laid out. All the internal letters. Everything. The beauty of this site... I don't get paid. I don't have to suck up to anyone. I can flat out tell you the truth no matter whose feelings it hurts.

I can't wait to see this.
Yooper at Heart
UP Fan

Postby Yooper at Heart » Fri Dec 01, 2017 3:06 pm

midpenben wrote:
So far for 2018...GNC

Escanaba currently (11.20.17) is showing 2 open weeks...
- Week 5 (Soo leaving GNC)....I am not going to name the possible team they are discussing yet, but it is a large class A school. I do know that Ashland WI was asked and said No; DC Everest was reached out to but unsure what happened.
- Week 8, not sure why this is showing as open, unless Octono is breaking their 2 year agreement. Don't be surprised if you see Cadillac or TCC here for the foreseeable future.

Gladstone is showing 3 Open weeks right now. (weeks 2, 5, & 9)...YIKES

Menominee is showing Week 7 open....

Kingsford is showing no weeks open as of yet, I hope they have filled their schedule, they did not deserve an 8 week season last year.

Marquette is showing week 1 open, but they just filled it with Maple City Glen Lake. (who is also looking for a game week 3...Do they dare play 2 U.P. schools).

Why would any school from the MPC have an interest in joining the GNC with this type of problem? The ADs from the WestPAC and the MPC were proactive . . . bottom line. There won't be any schools with "OPEN" dates. Good for them.

As far as ducking teams, Marquette should have picked up DeWitt a few years ago when they were contacted. Instead of shying away from them, they'll play Division 6 Maple City Glen Lake. The enrollment difference Marquette~1044, Maple City Glen Lake~376.

Marquette might not have to play Maple City Glen Lake at all if all the MPC schools weren't running to the WestPAC to run for cover. Not to mention the Soo dumbing down its schedule. That's the entire point.
Yooper at Heart
UP Fan

Postby upfootball » Fri Dec 01, 2017 3:09 pm

midpenben wrote:The other comment you made in regards to Kingsford's AD should stop scheduling Negaunee in basketball because Kingsford can't beat them . . . well, it happened this year.

Good for Kingsford. More GNC programs should follow their lead with that.

Usually this site is dead in the offseason (which I usually enjoy the time off). Not this season. I plan on doing a lot of research on the history of the dead rivalries and exposing the reasons they died. The real ones, not the lies they have been telling the paper.
upfootball
Founder

Postby amped0808 » Fri Dec 01, 2017 3:10 pm

midpenben wrote:Ironically, their record over the last twenty years against Gladstone and Marquette is 15-5 and 11-9, respectively.

Marquette has won 6 of the last 8 meetings since 2010.

Also Mid-Peninsula has gone 12-24 against the GNC (including Gladstone) in that timespan as well.
Last edited by amped0808 on Fri Dec 01, 2017 3:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
amped0808
All UP

Postby HSFB Fan » Fri Dec 01, 2017 3:14 pm

Since we are talking about Game Ducking....

Negaunee could have hosted Kingsford week 1.
Instead, they decided to drive 200+ miles to get smoked.

The Flivvs could have done that and saved them the gas money.
HSFB Fan
UP Football Guru

Postby midpenben » Fri Dec 01, 2017 3:23 pm

Game ducking??
Negaunee played Boyne City.
Boyne City's enrollment is larger.
Boyne City is a team Negaunee could have seen later in the year in the playoffs.
Boyne City was ranked in the top 3 in Class C/Division 6 all season.

Does it make sense to play Boyne or Kingsford? The only advantage to playing Kingsford is the travel.

That's not called game ducking.
midpenben
Yooper Freak

Postby upfootball » Fri Dec 01, 2017 3:27 pm

That is the definition of ducking....
upfootball
Founder

Postby HSFB Fan » Fri Dec 01, 2017 3:29 pm

midpenben wrote:

Game ducking??
Boyne City is a team Negaunee could have seen later in the year in the playoffs.

Does it make sense to play Boyne or Kingsford? The only advantage to playing Kingsford is the travel.

If they played Boyne City in the playoffs, why would they want to play them in the regular season?
Something else is going on here.

Dear Negaunee,
Play Kingsford.
~The U.P.
HSFB Fan
UP Football Guru

Postby Yooper at Heart » Fri Dec 01, 2017 3:34 pm

midpenben wrote:

Game ducking??

God forbid you'd want to take a shorter trip and then, GASP!, might actually happen to win the game against a good Class B school!!!

Do you have any idea how defeatist you sound?
Yooper at Heart
UP Fan

Postby midpenben » Fri Dec 01, 2017 3:39 pm

The MPC and WestPAC now have a secure conference. That's called proactive.

The GNC doesn't, because they waited around too long. Now, all the armchair quarterbacks around the GNC are being reactive.

I wonder why Kingsford would rather play North Dickinson (twice) and Crystal Falls in basketball rather than Negaunee? I wonder if that's called game ducking?

I will not reply anymore, simply because I have better things to do than to argue over social media.
midpenben
Yooper Freak

Postby amped0808 » Fri Dec 01, 2017 3:44 pm

midpenben wrote:Take your ball and go home.

The MPC and WestPAC have a secure conference. The GNC doesn't. They waited around too long.

I wonder why Kingsford would rather play North Dickinson (twice) and Crystal Falls in basketball rather than Negaunee? I wonder if that's called game ducking?

Please tell me how now having a secure conference meant by kicking out two Wisconsin schools that now have to scramble to find games for EVERY SINGLE WEEK because Hurley and Northland Pines would love to hear your answers.
amped0808
All UP

Postby HSFB Fan » Fri Dec 01, 2017 3:58 pm

midpenben wrote:The MPC and WestPAC now have a secure conference. That's called proactive.

Abolishing one of the most prestigious conferences in the UP is not proactive.
Making a 16 team "exclusive" conference is not proactive.

Changing your name to WESTPACBen...now THAT would be proactive!
HSFB Fan
UP Football Guru

Postby upfootball » Fri Dec 01, 2017 4:53 pm

midpenben wrote:The MPC and WestPAC now have a secure conference. That's called proactive.

The GNC doesn't, because they waited around too long. Now, all the armchair quarterbacks around the GNC are being reactive.

I will not reply anymore, simply because I have better things to do than to argue over social media.

The GNC waited around too long for what exactly? Negaunee would not play football if it meant play them or nothing. That's the reality of the current leadership there. The way I heard it the Negaunee AD had his manhood questioned in the meetings with the AD's.

We already established why Kingsford dumped Negaunee in basketball. The Flivvers have been playing neighbors Crystal Falls and North Dickinson for years. If Negaunee had the stones to line up on the football field when they had openings the basketball games would still be happening.
upfootball
Founder

Postby Yooper at Heart » Fri Dec 01, 2017 5:58 pm

How do you know when you've won a debate on the internet? When the other person decides to quit responding.
Yooper at Heart
UP Fan

Postby Chuppy » Fri Dec 01, 2017 6:24 pm

Thoughts for future UP conferences.

LARGE SCHOOL CONFERENCE (enrollment 375 or more)

West Half
Gogebic
Calumet
Houghton
Hancock
Negaunee
Northland Pines

East Half
Sault Ste. Marie
Gladstone
Escanaba
Menominee
Kingsford
Marquette

SMALL SCHOOL CONFERENCE (enrollment 374 or less)

West Half
L'Anse
Lake Linden Hubbell
Hurley, WI
Ishpeming
Westwood
West Iron County

East Half
Manistique
Munising
Gwinn
Bark River Harris
Iron Mountain
Norway

NMFL Legacy: New Berry and Saint Ignace

Each half would play their five games, 1 non-conference game, and 3 games from the other half of the conference.

Conference's having West and East halves would help on travel times.
The 3 games from the other half of the conference could be any type of rotation.
The non-conference game can be used to help in each school's current traditions.
This would resolve a lot of scheduling problems for Upper Peninsula teams.

I proposed this earlier because the whole UP needs to consider the introduction of 8 man football. Traditions should be kept. Any new conference alignments should allow for traditions. Not allowing these traditions is disgraceful. It seems wisdom and critical thought were replaced with whatever is easiest and gut reactions.
Chuppy
New to Board

Postby Hambone » Fri Dec 01, 2017 7:13 pm

Please quit including the Wisconsin schools in any conference realignment, it's been made more than abundantly clear that we aren't welcome. Hurley was here for 18 years and filled open dates for Calumet, Stephenson, Iron Mountain and Bark River without hesitation. In the end we got shafted...it will be fun to watch the folks who dumped on us get run over by the spineless AD's from the MPC. Congrats, by forming this super conference you just lost control of your future.
Hambone

Postby amped0808 » Fri Dec 01, 2017 9:44 pm

I think the Mid-Pen took the reins out of the hands of the West-Pac teams and called the shots on who was in and who was out. Could've Hurley and Pines still be in tjis league if the format was adapted with the different start dates? Possibly. Feel really bad for Hurley since they had to deal with one league (Great Western) disbanding due to 8-man and being removed from another because of another leagues desire to create inflated success on the football field.

I am going to make one thing clear. I will still make trips up to the UP to watch football. Loved the atmosphere when I was up here this past season. Granted I will maybe take in a West-Pac game but I'll make sure it does not include any teams from the Mid-Pen.
amped0808
All UP

Postby HSFB Fan » Fri Dec 01, 2017 9:46 pm

Hambone wrote:Please quit including the Wisconsin schools in any conference realignment, it's been made more than abundantly clear that we aren't welcome. Hurley was here for 18 years and filled open dates for Calumet, Stephenson, Iron Mountain and Bark River without hesitation. In the end we got shafted...it will be fun to watch the folks who dumped on us get run over by the spineless AD's from the MPC. Congrats, by forming this super conference you just lost control of your future.

Hambone just dropped the mic.
HSFB Fan
UP Football Guru

Postby HSFB Fan » Fri Dec 01, 2017 10:03 pm

What happens to the SUPER conference if a few of the smaller teams have to go 8 man? A few teams from the big school division get pushed to the small school division.....
Big school division starts looking for games.
But who?

Hurley? Nope.
Northland Pines? Nope.
Kingsford? No thanks.
Gladstone? No.
Menominee? Go single wing yourself.

I think hambone was right in that doing this it may be great (for the former MPC) for a year or two...but by torqing everyone off..they have set themselves up for a dismal future.
HSFB Fan
UP Football Guru

PreviousNext

Return to Upper Peninsula Board