U.P. Power is dead

General board to discuss Upper Peninsula football.

Moderator: Moderator Group

U.P. Power is dead

Postby upfootball » Tue Nov 28, 2017 7:00 pm

As of tonight the MPC teams are officially WestPAC teams. Furthermore they have decided to exclusively play only games between to two WestPAC conferences. Meaning all rivalry games outside of the Copper Country are dead. There will be 2 WestPAC divisions of 8 teams each. There will be two games crossing over for each team to play teams from the other WestPAC conference.

Never thought I would see the day when these tremendous rivalry games the towns looked forward to and talked about all year long were broken up to do one thing. Soften your schedule so you can make the playoffs more frequently. When the AD's tell you it was because of scheduling problems know one thing... It's bullshit. Period. It's to dummy down your schedule to make the playoffs.

We don't have tough leadership up here anymore. We have AD's who like to put on makeup and wear a dress.

This is not the type of crap we do up here. This is not what drove the passion to open up this site. To eat, sleep and breath UP football. This isn't it at all. This is a slap in the face to every tough sonofabitch who ever played up here.

I may keep this site open, I may not. But I am done promoting it as something special. I am not predicting powder puff football either.

I am wondering how some of the rest of the UP feels about this. Wonder if the AD's get a thank you for this or a ***k you.
upfootball
Founder

Re: U.P. Power is dead

Postby Hambone » Tue Nov 28, 2017 8:35 pm

Indeed a sad day...after nearly two decades of playing in a U.P. Conference, Hurley and Northland Pines were left out of the new realignment without as much as an explanation. I can't speak for Pines, but at Hurley we really enjoyed the great competition and made some relationships with some tremendous coaches that will last forever. The schools in the GWC were a pleasure to compete with and we were just getting started in the West PAC. Going to really miss the guys at Forest Park, Lake Linden, L'Anse, and Calumet, I hope those communities realize the quality in the guys leading their programs.

As for the Midgets, it's on to another adventure! Best of luck to our U.P. Football friends.
Hambone

Postby upfootball » Tue Nov 28, 2017 8:39 pm

Take me with you. I have no desire to cover the newly formed WestCRAP league.
upfootball
Founder

Postby Hueby » Tue Nov 28, 2017 8:56 pm

Where will Pines and Hurley go?
Hueby
All UP

Postby amped0808 » Tue Nov 28, 2017 9:14 pm

Hueby wrote:Where will Pines and Hurley go?

As for now they'll be independent. Heard rumors that Hurley was initially denied by the Lakeland Conference but that's it.

As for Pines, there is the GNC but I'll doubt they'll join (they are in the league for all other sports) for football.

Complete bullshit move by the league. Words can't describe how irritated I am over this. Way to screw over Hurley and Pines West-PAC. I fear Hurley is going to have hell finding games this upcoming year.
2013 Wissports HOF Inductee
Wissports Pick 'Em coordinator
Once a Warrior always a Warrior
Twitter:https://twitter.com/Captain_Joe08
amped0808
All UP

Postby Hueby » Tue Nov 28, 2017 9:17 pm

amped0808 wrote:
Hueby wrote:Where will Pines and Hurley go?

As for now they'll be independent. Heard rumors that Hurley was initially denied by the Lakeland Conference but that's it.

Complete bullshit move by the league. Words can't describe how irritated I am over this. Way to screw over Hurley and Pines West-PAC. I fear Hurley is going to have hell finding games this upcoming year.

I admired they played in a conference with U.P. schools. Wish the schools around here could!
Hueby
All UP

Postby Hambone » Tue Nov 28, 2017 9:24 pm

The AD's and principals all voted Hurley into the Lakeland Conference, the superintendents voted 5-4 against it that ended the discussion. The WIAA will have to get involved at some point, they won't let Hurley go without a schedule. Pines may have to try and get into the CWC Large, they will have a hard time being successful there. Not a fit in football for the GNC. Saw Cameron is trying to move from the Lakeland to the Heart of the North so there may yet be an opportunity there yet.
Hambone

Postby Up Football Fan » Wed Nov 29, 2017 12:04 am

upfootball wrote:As of tonight the MPC teams are officially WestPAC teams. Furthermore they have decided to exclusively play only games between to two WestPAC conferences. Meaning all rivalry games outside of the Copper Country are dead. There will be 2 WestPAC divisions of 8 teams each. There will be two games crossing over for each team to play teams from the other WestPAC conference.

Never thought I would see the day when these tremendous rivalry games the towns looked forward to and talked about all year long were broken up to do one thing. Soften your schedule so you can make the playoffs more frequently. When the AD's tell you it was because of scheduling problems know one thing... It's bullshit. Period. It's to dummy down your schedule to make the playoffs.

We don't have tough leadership up here anymore. We have AD's who like to put on makeup and wear a dress.

This is not the type of crap we do up here. This is not what drove the passion to open up this site. To eat, sleep and breath UP football. This isn't it at all. This is a slap in the face to every tough sonofabitch who ever played up here.

I may keep this site open, I may not. But I am done promoting it as something special. I am not predicting powder puff football either.

I am wondering how some of the rest of the UP feels about this. Wonder if the AD's get a thank you for this or a ***k you.

with Hurley and N. Pines out.........which other school was invited to join to make it 16 schools?.......

Calumet
Hancock
Houghton
L'Anse
West Iron County
Gogebic
Lake Linden-Hubbell
Bark River-Harris
Munising
Norway
Gwinn
Iron Mountain
Ishpeming
Negaunee
Westwood

this makes 15..............was Manistique invited to join?
Support your local school district.
Up Football Fan

Postby frogyakker » Wed Nov 29, 2017 6:37 am

Footballers:

This is a sad day as a great game with tons of history is over. Iron Mountain vs Kingsford has provided many thrilling games over the years. I will miss it greatly. That having been said, in my opinion, the skids were greased on this rivalry when they went back to playing Friday night. It lost its specialness to a point. It became just another game to me. Saturday made it stand alone...fall colors visible....lots of different school jackets..it stood alone. The combined school bands played....it was a spectacle. That was no longer. And as I said before, in the playoff era that became the goal right or wrong. Don't take it too hard. Death, taxes and change are the only sure things in life. This does not kill my enjoyment for high school football. The times are different now. Enrollments and participation is generally down all over. Moving forward who knows...maybe the game returns. Give the new set up a chance. Time will tell if it was for the better or not. There are still some tough sonofabitches out there. Give those kids your support like you gave to the generations before them. This situation is not their fault. Stay on the ride...don't get off.
Frogyakker
frogyakker
UP Football Guru

Postby upfootball » Wed Nov 29, 2017 8:40 am

Disagree Frokyaker. I loved the Friday night matchup. HS Football belongs on Friday nights. I think any day is a good day for rivalries like this. Great rivalries make the sport. Get rid of them and you have nothing left. I guarantee you the Iron Mountain kids hate this. The administration took away their football life. They have Bark River to look forward to now. Ohhhhh the humanity. Give me a break.

The rivalry games could have remained. The AD's chose to end the rivalry games because they were afraid of the programs they were playing. There was no need to add the two crossover games. They could have all scheduled on their own, but it gave the AD's an out. Now they don't have to play a program that might be hard. Now they don't have to answer the phone from another program asking for a game and calling out their pissass weak schedule.

Do I enjoy football? Hell yes. But I enjoy tough football and programs that play tough schedules. This ain't that sister.

The UP losing so many rivalries in football is disgusting. You look back over history and the most memorable games in most people's lives were the rivalry games. Nobody asks an Iron Mountain grad how did you do against West Iron County in football.

This is a disgusting lack of leadership. We all know there is an IM brass of good ole boy's that is behind this and they wanted to hire a guy who would do the dirty work they have been pushing for years now. Drop Kingsford. The good ole boy network destroyed that school system and is now destroying their athletics. That is why their elementary enrollment is in the toilet because of the drama boys in the background. They do the same thing to everyone that comes through that system. Get them to do some dirty work and superficially tell them how smart they were for pulling it off.

Negaunee has been working overtime to avoid playing programs their own size for decades in football. They flat out refuse to play programs like Menominee and Kingsford in football, yet love destroying them in basketball.

This crapfest of dummying down your schedule has now peaked. The MPC pissed their pants when Gladstone came in and cleaned up on them. I called Gladstone out for it. It was getting a free ticket to the playoffs by beating small schools and avoiding good programs your own size. It was wrong. Didn't blame the MPC for reconsidering that dumb decision. Now the MPC teams have taken what Gladstone has done and escalated it. We now get Iron Mountain-Bark River instead of IM-K games. Negaunee gets to lock themselves into the WestPAC and not have to answer the phone from teams they should have to play from now on. Yeah they went and played Boyne City last year in a non conference game. Boo hoo, they have turned down Kingsford for years. Reason... the AD flat out said they cant win.

This isn't about the kids. This is about the adults turning those kids into wimps instead of men. You duck tough competition your whole life. See where you end up.

The MPC was one of the most respected conferences in the State at a time. Kids were proud to play in it. The UP was proud to have it. The WestCRAP will be known as a joke. Welcome to the circus.

This isn't UP Football. This is garbage. This is being a bunch of candy asses. Even soccer kids play anyone. Maybe this years senior class at IM saw this better than anyone?

I think its time Kingsford and Iron Mountain quit the co-op in hockey. If Iron Mountain kids want hockey. School of choice or stay home. Since Kingsford's boys basketball program is in the toilet, they should also stop playing Iron Mountain and Negaunee in that sport. What's good for one is good for all. Gladstone started this. Here we go. Welcome to the ride. See where we are headed yet?
upfootball
Founder

Postby amped0808 » Wed Nov 29, 2017 8:47 am

Hambone wrote:The AD's and principals all voted Hurley into the Lakeland Conference, the superintendents voted 5-4 against it that ended the discussion. The WIAA will have to get involved at some point, they won't let Hurley go without a schedule. Pines may have to try and get into the CWC Large, they will have a hard time being successful there. Not a fit in football for the GNC. Saw Cameron is trying to move from the Lakeland to the Heart of the North so there may yet be an opportunity there yet.

I saw that tweet from Travis Wilson yesterday. Wonder what is the motivation for Cameron to move to the HON.

Got to think Hurley will be asking around for games like crazy. At least there are a few leagues like the Cloverwood (assuming that Wisconsin Rapids Assumption will be heading to 8-man) and the Marawood (7 teams) that will be looking for non-cons during the regular season.

EDIT: Wouldn't the CWC-Large be a stretch for Pines considering location?
amped0808
All UP

Postby frogyakker » Wed Nov 29, 2017 9:23 am

That's cool U.P. Football. We can agree to disagree. The Friday move took away the spectacle of the game to me. Maybe i'm in the minority on that but that's how I feel.. As for the future,nobody knows how it plays out or what else in other sports change or should change. I'm adopting a wait and see attitude. Iron Mountain has played Bark River recently and won. I don't think who they beat mattered but that they beat their opponent. People were outraged when gas became $1 a gallon. We are still driving cars now that it is $2.65 a gallon. It's still football with players playing for the love of the game. Everyone needs to take a deep breath and give it a year and see what happens. Our worst fears may be realized...or maybe not. Keep your site running man. It's fun to exchange ideas. Sports is to be fun and entertainment. Time will tell.
Frogyakker
frogyakker
UP Football Guru

Postby upfootball » Wed Nov 29, 2017 10:57 am

frogyakker wrote:I don't think who they beat mattered but that they beat their opponent.

In a nutshell, you explained everything in that statement. Well said.
upfootball
Founder

Postby ftballfan » Wed Nov 29, 2017 11:01 am

Iron Mountain is declining fast in enrollment. They could be Class D in the near future (on MISchoolData, they have several elementary grades with less than 50 kids)
ftballfan
UP Football Guru

Postby 1stFP#15 » Wed Nov 29, 2017 11:26 am

Iron Mountain-Kingsford football rivalry over after 93 years
Iron Mountain's 9-game conference schedule leaves no room for Flivvers
ADAM NIEMI - Sports Editor for the Daily News
A meeting including West PAC athletic directors at the Hardwood Cafe in Covington, Mich. on Tuesday decided the fate of the rivalry when it approved a 16-team conference including a pair of eight-team divisions.
The sheer number of teams in the conference meant the Mountaineers would play a nine-game conference schedule, Iron Mountain athletic director Joe Pontbriand said, with two “crossover games” against teams from the other West PAC division.
The end of the rivalry comes at a time when the situation in high school football in the Upper Peninsula has forced the hand of some schools, including Iron Mountain, to secure a future where it can continue playing football. With just 23 11-player football schools in the UP, the Mountaineers, along with four other Mid-Peninsula Conference football schools were approved to join the West PAC conference starting next year. The move was something Pontbriand said could help 11-player schools last. Negaunee, Westwood and Gwinn were the other MPC schools also approved to join the West PAC.
Two weeks ago, Marquette and Negaunee announced the end of its 123-year rivalry, dating back to 1894.
“Understanding the tradition between both communities and what it meant to them it’s sad to see it go,” Pontbriand said. “With the amount of teams in the conference and having to play a nine-game conference schedule, something had to give. Marquette and Negaunee is in the same boat as well.”
After nearly a century of games, neither Iron Mountain nor Kingsford hold an all-time advantage. The Mountaineers and Flivvers are split evenly at 45-45-3.
Kingsford dominated since the 1990s with a 20-8 run, outscoring the Mountaineers 713-339. The Mountaineers dominated the 1980s with an 8-3 advantage (Iron Mountain won both games in 1984), but only outscored Kingsford by a single point, 153-152.
Kingsford athletic director Al Unger said the end of the rivalry is “disappointing.”
“It’s just a sad situation to allow a 90-year rivalry to go away with a whimper,” Unger said. “It’s been a very competitive rivalry for many years. The last several years it’s been a one-sided rivalry, but when you don’t look at wins and losses, you look at the competitive game, a lot of those games could’ve went either way. They dropped us, period.
“It’s upsetting that two conferences merged. I’ve never seen it happen before. I know Marquette’s upset about losing Negaunee,” Unger added. “That’s a long, storied rivalry, too. I don’t understand why two conferences would merge and not allow a flex date for long-running rivalries to continue. That’s very common when conferences merge is to give you that one week in there to allow a rivalry to continue. Obviously they all felt they wanted to lock up a nine-game schedule so it’s easier that way. That just tells you they don’t want to play us in football anymore, period. It’s disappointing.”
It also puts the Flivvers in a tough position for finding a team to replace Iron Mountain, who they would have played Oct. 5.
“(I’ll be) making a lot of contacts with schools and people and trying to see if there’s an open date,” Unger said. “Obviously that’s going to be a difficult task to replace Iron Mountain being a mile away from their football stadium.”
The 2018 season will be the first year the two schools don’t have the other on their football schedules since 1924.
Iron Mountain dominated the inaugural rivalry game in 1925 with a 69-0 win. Kingsford didn’t win its first rivalry game — or even score its first points — until blanking Iron Mountain 13-0 in 1936. The Mountaineers’ 10-game winning streak to start the series was the only winning streak more than eight games in the history of the rivalry.
The long-practiced traditions including community events and family gatherings during Rivalry Week in the Iron Mountain and Kingsford areas come to an abrupt end. The fallout from the end of the rivalry game will be felt in both communities and schools, Unger said.
“I think it’s a big loss for the community,” Unger said. “The community I think looked forward to this year in and year out. A lot of tradition has gone on for years that will no longer continue around football.
“The students, that just kicked off an entire week of school spirit and preparing. We’ve planned many other games around that week to be incorporated into Rivalry Week. Now a big part of rivalry week is going to be missing. I would have to say it’s going to be tough to move on from that. Football without a doubt was what everything was centered around during that week.”
1stFP#15
All UP

Postby Hambone » Wed Nov 29, 2017 1:34 pm

amped0808....Pines already plays Wittenburg-Birnamwood in a non-conference game, most of the schools aren't that far off of HWY 29, plus you have the luxury of some freeway travel. Games would be closer/quicker than traveling to the Copper Country. The competition would be fierce, but still a better fit than the Great Northern.

Several years ago a football only conference was proposed for Hurley, Pines, Tomahawk, Chequamegon, Phillips, Rib Lake/Prentice, and a couple other schools in the region, but no one wanted to bite.

With the constant jacking around of conferences in Wisconsin, you can give me district play any day now. It's all centered around football anyway. Everyone makes the state tournament in other sports. Don't get me started on the jackasses at the WIAA, who jump through hoops when the urban schools bark, but could give a **** less when the rural schools have an issue.
Hambone

Postby StLouFlivver58 » Wed Nov 29, 2017 2:11 pm

I was a junior on the 1994 Kingsford team...when we played IM, we were both 6-0, both defending state champs, and both ranked #1 in the state in our classes. We lost 20-19 in a game that had a (perhaps generous) estimate of over 10,000 people at the game. State legislators returned from Lansing to attend it. It was the first game that Kingsford had lost to a team from the U.P. in five years. Was a devastating loss at the time...now that I'm an adult, it's the best memory of my high school career. It was a once-in-a-lifetime experience to be a part of something like that...maybe once-in-an-eternity that you can have that kind of stakes surrounding a high school game. My son is a freshman at Kingsford now and I'm saddened that he'll never know the rivalry anything close to how I knew it.
StLouFlivver58
Yooper Freak

Postby Yooper at Heart » Wed Nov 29, 2017 2:40 pm

I wouldn't be the least bit surprised to see the GNC have to go to some modified double round-robin schedule going forward. Play everyone once and at least two other schools twice for a total of six games.

Man, what a disaster this has been. All started by Gladstone going to the MPC for a sum total of ONE year. And it nuked the entire landscape of 11-man football in the U.P.
Yooper at Heart
UP Fan

Postby upfootball » Wed Nov 29, 2017 5:17 pm

Exactly. It's sickening. BTW... the mystery 16th team in the Westpac.... Manistique. So basically the MPC just renamed itself the Westpac and quit playing its rivals. Wonderful move... idiots!!
upfootball
Founder

Postby Yooper at Heart » Wed Nov 29, 2017 5:21 pm

upfootball wrote:Exactly. It's sickening. BTW... the mystery 16th team in the Westpac.... Manistique. So basically the MPC just renamed itself the Westpac and quit playing its rivals. Wonderful move... idiots!!

The real question there is...if Manistique was any good would the WestPac have taken them in. Based on how this has gone, I think we all know the answer to that one.
Yooper at Heart
UP Fan

Postby amped0808 » Thu Nov 30, 2017 12:07 am

upfootball wrote:Exactly. It's sickening. BTW... the mystery 16th team in the Westpac.... Manistique. So basically the MPC just renamed itself the Westpac and quit playing its rivals. Wonderful move... idiots!!

They could've have 3 divisions of six teams each but instead we have this and two teams looking for a full slate of games.
amped0808
All UP

Postby upfootball » Thu Nov 30, 2017 8:31 am

They could have done a lot of things differently. Choices were made. Very very poor choices that are wrecking the culture of football up here. The last few years of moves by AD's up here starting with Gladstone to the MPC will forever be remembered in the history of UP Football. The days it died.

The GNC needs to align with Wisconsin somehow for a larger conference. I just don't see a window of opportunity at this time for that. They will all end up playing each other twice soon, unless the MHSAA gets involved which has not really happened in Michigan. Why? because the rest of the UP are a bunch of cowards in football, with Negaunee at the top of that list.

The WestPAC in it's current setup is not sustainable long term. This was an out for the short term for schools like Negaunee and Iron Mountain.

Poor Hurley and Pines were just thrown to the curb so the football teams in this conference could keep or make cushy schedules.
upfootball
Founder

Postby GNCrocks » Thu Nov 30, 2017 9:11 am

The future of the GNC has 6 (******) options.

1. Continue its 5 team (4 game gaurantee) and continue to struggle to find 5 other games.
- Escanaba playing 4 LP, 1 WI team
- Menominee playin 4 WI teams and still has a week open.
- Not sure Kingsford's current situation
- Marquette is playing 3 LP teams, 1 WI and Soo
- Gladstone is showing 4 OPEN dates currently.

2. Soo gets a new AD with balls and comes back, along with Big North Teams who want out; Alpena, Cadillac, Petoskey (see option 4 tho).

3. GNC goes to a 6 game schedule where you would play 2 of the 4 teams TWICE home/home each year on a rotating basis; This leaves only 3 games to have to fill each year.

4. Eastern U.P./Northen LP Class B schools to join GNC.: Soo, Cheyboygan, Boyne City, and Petoskey (who wants out of the Big North). That would give you a 9 team conf, with 8 games.

5. MHSAA forces step 4 or other situation.

6. Matt Houle is publicly flogged; You know... for out of season enjoyment. He is taken to each GNC city like a flogging tour of pain.
GNCrocks
All UP

Postby longball » Thu Nov 30, 2017 9:24 am

Not that Manistique is relevant on the field, but their AD has got to be related somehow to Houle....both complete idiots. There opportunity to join the eastern end in all sports and maybe, maybe be competitive, but nooooooo, lets just fall back in line and let the whooping continue. I completely agree with you guys, football is now dead as we know it.
longball
UP Football Guru

Postby GNCrocks » Thu Nov 30, 2017 9:42 am

I do not believe they are related but Martinique was a school that HIGHLY supported the Gladstone Merger into the now defunct Mid-Pen Conf.
GNCrocks
All UP

Next

Return to Upper Peninsula Board