2017 Official UPFOOTBALL Poll

General board to discuss Upper Peninsula football.

Moderator: Moderator Group

Re: 2017 Official UPFOOTBALL Poll

Postby yooperguy » Thu Nov 02, 2017 4:46 pm

Scoopandscore I really don't
scoopnscore wrote:
If Meno doesn't turn it over 100 times, they do score 60, they are by far the better team

Let's be clear about one thing, turnovers are the only reason that Menominee won that game. Had Hancock not completely self-destructed at the end of that game, they would have won. They out-played the Maroons most of the day. Nothing went right for them in last 8 minutes of that game, some was bad luck and some was really poor decisions. All that matters at this point is the Maroons move on and better clean things up or they will get blown out this weekend.

I am curious how you can say that Hancock outplayed menominee in this game. Considering menominee outgained them 460 to 285 in total yardage and ran for almost 350 yards on the ground. That logic just doesn't work. A correct statement would be that Menominee outplayed them most of the game and turnovers played a part of the games outcome for both teams.
yooperguy
New to Board

Postby frogyakker » Fri Nov 03, 2017 6:41 am

This has been a great thread! Many decades ago in broadcasting school, 10 of us in the class were assigned to cover the city council meeting that night and write a story of what each of us thought was the most important action the council took that night. Of the 10 of us that went, there were 4 different items that were thought to be the most important action taken that night. We sat through the same meeting and heard the same political drivel, yet a difference of opinion on the most important story from the meeting. The point? People watched the same game in Menominee and have different takes on the game. School colors may play a role, but many knowledgeable people can watch the same game and have a different take on it . Spirited yet respectful discussion. Hope you're team wins!
Frogyakker
frogyakker
UP Football Guru

Postby scoopnscore » Fri Nov 03, 2017 8:18 am

Yooperguy I said outplayed, not outgained. Teams can gain all kinds of yards, playing well means finishing those drives. Playing well means not turning the ball over. Playing well means not giving up big plays to the other team. I say that Hancock outplayed Menominee the majority of the day because they were winning 26-14 in the 4th quarter against a team that everyone, especially Maroons fans, felt was the superior team. I felt that Hancock outplayed the Maroons for three quarters and had they just done alright in that 4th quarter they would have hung on. Don't get me wrong, I am glad Menominee won. Besides Iron Mountain there is no team I enjoy watching Kingsford beat more! See you at Flivver field tonight.
I haven't failed, I have just found 10,000 ways that won't work - Thomas Edison
scoopnscore
All UP

Postby scoopnscore » Mon Nov 06, 2017 2:52 pm

Well I need to come on here and eat some crow. I have to say that the Menominee vs. Kingsford playoff game was very intense as a rivalry game like that should be, especially in the playoffs. Kingsford took control early and it looked like they may be headed for a blowout. Then a fumble at the two yard line on their way into score changed the entire game. Menominee took the ball and basically slammed it down Kingsford's throat for 98 yards. You could feel the momentum change in the stands. Kingsford was about to go up 14-0 and now here they were tied 7-7 but it felt like they were already behind. Kingsford could not stop the run all day long. I don't know if they ever had a run over about 20 yards, but it felt like they hardly ever had a run that was less than 6. Menominee may be a tough out in these playoffs if they can play a clean game. I can see how they will struggle if they turn it over and get behind as they seem best suited to play with a lead. They have the guys to grind out those long demoralizing touchdown drives like they did against Kingsford. Thanks both teams for an enjoyable game, hopefully the Flivvs get them next year! Good luck to Menominee the rest of the way, hopefully you all represent the UP well and make a run(you usually do!)
I haven't failed, I have just found 10,000 ways that won't work - Thomas Edison
scoopnscore
All UP

Previous

Return to Upper Peninsula Board